Instrumental Hiphop album made entirely on the Analog Rytm and a Tascam Portastudio

Whatsup guys,

The last few months I worked on an instrumental hiphop album using nothing but my ARmk2, a tascam portastudio 4 track cassete recorder and a lot of samples.

I used the portastudio for mixing, some recording and some sampling. Most songs are bounced to tape, others just recorded through the mixer.

I’m curious to hear what you guys think about it!

40 Likes

Cool, but how to listen if we don’t have spotify ?

5 Likes

Does this work?

8 Likes

Nice, I will cross France by car on Friday, I will give it a listen or more!

1 Like

Very cool, enjoying this one a lot.

1 Like

Thanks for listening guys! Appreciate it!

2 Likes

It’s a solid release Jacob. My favorites are Birds and Pipedreams. They’re all really good, but those two are heat.

1 Like

This is excellent and now on my 2nd listen. All are good, but there’s a couple of cracking tracks here. Some bits really remind me of madvillany.

1 Like

@Funk_Illuminati thanks! I actually made Birds as part of one of the beatbattles here!

@sid6581 wow thats a dope compliment as thats one of my fav albums, really appreciate it!

Really enjoyed this, Jacob. Great job mixing too, all the elements mesh well together. Thanks for sharing! :+1:

1 Like

Sounds really good why are the tracks so short? Seem like sketches, not finished works. Anyway you’re talented and would like to hear a proper full length at some point. Maybe with an actual MC involved?

2 Likes

Nice work! Highlights for me (in track order):

I’ll Be Strong
Birds (had a leo_pointing.jpg moment, still a great track)
Pipedreams
Pass It Pt 2

1 Like

Very nice indeed - I particularly lke Greenleaves. Good solid album.

1 Like

I actually like the song lengths. I sometimes find instrumental hip hop tracks can get boring when they are longer. I think this EP flows together like a nice mix, so I didn’t find the song lengths an issue. Just my 2 cents.

9 Likes

Agreed. I thought the whole thing flowed really well. The Jacob samples were a really nice touch. And this is yet another demonstration of the fact that the Analog Rytm in the right hands is one of the best sounding samplers out there. Great stuff. And thanks for putting it on YouTube, as well. I’ve never got a long with Spotify.

7 Likes

I’m not that much into Hip Hop but I really like this kind of Hip Hop. It’s really good! Congrats! It reminds me somewhat of ES-K_Spontaneous Grooves.

1 Like

this is hot! well done, congrats
nice album cover too

1 Like

Thanks for listening guys! I also really appreciate some of you saying you like the mix, as it is all done on the AR and portastudio. The sound of the AR is magical but also can be hard to tame.

The idea was to make a tape that fits on a 4 track cassete tape, so 15 minutes was the max playing time, hence the short playing time of most tracks. I like this limitation, so I might try to make more of these 15 minutes of Hiss tapes next year!

The Artwork was done by @DimensionsTomorrow, just like my last tape, so big shout out to him!

4 Likes

Love that idea!

1 Like

amazing work! did you chop the beats to separate elements or used pitch to time stretch? sounds great.

1 Like