Interest check Separate outs mod

3,5 but nice :slight_smile: im in

4 stereo outs ! :slight_smile:
I still don’t know if I would do 4 mono with 2x6.35 Trs jacks instead.

Can you ?

I think it’s possible, when you see the 4 midi jacks position. Stereo out is only for panning, each track signal path is mono before pan. I like random lfo on pan though.

there’s no room for 4x 1/4" jacks in that space. I’m not sure there’s enough room for 1/4" jacks at all unless you found a very very small profile jack

Surely true for 4x1/4", I was talking about 2. I don’t like mini jacks, but maybe it’s the best solution. I was think about a DSub too. I even thought about CV outs, as I don’t use them yet ! (Worst solution).

I’m looking at doing this mod soon and I think I’ll go for a DE-9 connector with a breakout lead.

2 Likes

I found this pictures from the mod in an auction on ebay and saved it for future use:

this is NOT my mod!

2 Likes

Nice one, but mono. :thup:

Looking in to this. I’m curious if any of you folks that went ahead with just patching straight to the header with no buffer amp, resistor or capacitor inline have noticed any issues over time?
I ask because I have a little experience in modding mixers to have direct outs.
The first couple of things I modified like that worked fine initially. But over time started to act erratic. It turned out that I was working the little opamps to death by patching them naked to the outside world. And this affected their ability to buss the signal to the rest of the mixer unmolested.
I put a little 20k resistor and a 1:1 transformer on each out (it was only a 6x2 mixer) and things started acting normal.
The next couple of mixers I modded I went with an op amp per output. With just a plain vanilla datasheet diagram derived buffer amp, following a pretty high impedance resistor. 100k or 1meg? I forget. Those worked well, but as soon as you get into opamps that provide gain you are modifying the sound of things somewhat. I was doing things on the cheap, so I used a TL072 or TL082. If I did it over again I’d be using a 5532 or OPA2604.
It might be kind of freaky to fit a perfboard up in there. So maybe it could be in a little hammond box that connects via a multipin connector. Which would also carry V+,V- and GND.

I’m going to investigate it at least.

3 Likes

I think modifying mixer is maybe different.
A4 individual outputs are already there, like AK, seem to be intended, but not soldered ! :smile:
I need to do it !

always no solution ?

Somehow it must be possible to get the voices before they are muted on the indidual channels, they still get digitized for the effects.
also im wondering if its possible to add an joistick somewhere if the pcb is the same. Firmware will be different though probably. but maybe its just a jumper somewhere :smiley:

2 Likes

shouldtn be too hard to make a little curcuit board to buffer the outputs which you can put inbetween.

Anyone with an analog Keys dare to look whats inbeween mainboard and outputs?

1 Like

You should install AK OS no ?

Anybody with this mod testet the AK OS?

1 Like

Anybody tested AK OS with A4 ? :wink:

The OS is the same

What Im wondering is, are there any mods that can be done to improve the bass response out of the box.
like the AK, they definately sound different. But is it a different PBC. ? anyone with a keys care to chime in ?

Many DIY synth projects improve on designs by changing resistors here and there to improve filter responses etc so i was wondering if this is what they did. I love my A4 but its a hell of a gripe if they cant realize these things from the get go. I wonder if a lot of the testing was done on big systems like clubs etc where its hard to notice a perceived lack of bass due to all the reverb, saturation and distortion.

Anyway, Ive asked elektron about this but im not holding my breath. I think out of all of their boxes in their history the A4 is the only one that was hung out to dry.

What? Is this how much it costs in the US?! I guess it’s fair enough given what US gear costs over here :smirk:

Indeed, this is rather lame.