Introducing Song Mode on Digitakt, Syntakt, Digitone & Digitone Keys

Do I understand correctly, that we can now pattern mute via MIDI, that is DT can send pattern Mutes to DN?
If so, is it possible only in song mode or also outside song mode?

Also, when in song mode does pattern changes, will the standard Elektron Auto save feature still be in place?
For instance, if u create a song with patterns A01, A02, A01. Then while the first instance of A01 played u do some parameter changes. Then, after having played A02 and returning to A01 (= last pattern of song), will the parameter changes be still there or will we have the originally saved state of A01?

Fyi I’m probably waiting to update as fill latch is quite central in my workflow…

3 Likes

All these questions need to be addressed in an in-depth tutorial by @cuckoomusic.

6 Likes

Certainly if you sequence the digitone from the Digitakt (put the midi notes in on the Digitakt, send them via midi tracks), you could unmute and mute those midi tracks from DT. I’d bet running a copy of the song on DN would be simpler than sending track mute CCs from DT, but someone might have worked this out.

The midi LFOs on the DT’s additional midi tracks also make for some nice sequencing possibilities.

This sold me on getting a Digitone again. Found a good deal on a used unit, and had to get it. :wink:

5 Likes

Correct but theres another even easier/cooler method without having to sequence anything:

• In Midi > Port Settings, make sure MUTE DEST = INT + EXT (or just EXT).
  • In Midi > Channels, set the desired midi tracks (A-H) to the corresponding channel on your Digitone

Now muting and unmuting the DT midi track as normal, mutes/unmutes the digitone track it’s mapped to in the settings. I dont think you need to sequence any notes/steps and I don’t know if you even have to set the channel in the track settings itself (SRC on a midi track)… it may work even without that.

I think i learned this from a @MilesKvndra video btw.

Added benefit, you can set it up to send notes as well, then use that keyboard and the DN’s keyboard at the same time. Before, that was cool cause it made a 2 octave trig keyboard possible (one on the DT one on the DN, both sending to the same DN channel). Now with KB Fold we can have 4 octaves:D

3 Likes

Just to say, thank you Elektron. I’ve been hoping for song mode for ages. Thank you so much!

5 Likes

DT muting DN tracks is possible outside of song mode too. Havent tested it yet in song mode.

Regarding auto save, i think so unfortunately but maybe theres a way of preventing that… I think i found last night that changes made to the purple pattern mute states save when the pattern changes. E.g. if i program the row to have tracks 1-4 muted and 5-8 unmuted, start song mode in that row, then unmute some tracks, the pattern is saved as such. Dont know if it also happens with parameter changes.

Perhaps turning on project lock would work but i’m not sure.
Kind of a bummer as it means if you program a song, you’d have to having to reprogram after a performance or improvisational change

2 Likes

Post of the year

2 Likes

You have a part of your answer in this video by @Eaves at 4:50.

2 Likes

Is it just me or does Step record not work using the Function button to enter the notes, on the DT since the new firmware.

Can’t we transfer it to something like…auto-compose… :thinking:

Or where is the “full album mode”.

6 Likes

You need to get an op-1 for that :wink:

3 Likes

who else thought song mode wasn’t going to be something they were going to use? Now I have it I’m like ohhhhh, I can do so much more expressive stuff now the sequence is taking care of itself.

Nice one elektron!

11 Likes

To be honest, I bought a Octatrack to pair it with my Digitakt to have song-mode just to realize…I don’t need it.
I love the Digitakt AND the Octatrack, though.

2 Likes

To be fair the Octatrack arranger is more powerful than this new song mode so there’s still a use for it there (plus all the other stuff Octatrack does). Pattern offset in Octatrack is really good, it not being in the Digi song mode is the only thing I’m disappointed about. Transpose for MIDI tracks can also be really useful, that would be nice to have here (or being able to set the transpose on the Digitone synth tracks per row, that would be awesome).

3 Likes

The mixture of complexity, autosave, strange stuff like scratchpad row and unfortunately my lazyness and insecurity made that i rarely tried a4 and ot songmode.
Of course kits are missing when comparing dn to a4,
and transpose. Don‘t know with practice if a4 sm transpose would become less confusing… ( i love the normal transpose and mute on a4 mk1, perfect implemented) So i don‘t miss that much on dn. A4 kits yes, but there is the complication ( for me) that plocks are saved with pattern.

Comparing to bitwig ( oh f…, i forgot to deactivate or activate a switch again), ot and a4, have to say dn is also for me the most fun, less confusing and inviting songmode.

Didn‘t try what a poster above wrote, that song save to project is not working and saving prj is necessary.

There are formats/protocols (eg. Scala, Midi Tuning Standard…) used for import by many synths (eg. Sequential, Hydrasynth…) but personally, I find that a huge hassle, and much prefer to tune on the instrument directly (I’m basically with Richard D. James on this: “Scala is only good for non-intuitive tuning creation, purely mathematical. I love this approach, but really prefer making tunings intuitively, note-by-note.“). It’s possible to implement both import[/export] and on-device creation together though, as Korg did on the ‘logues, and Novation on the Summit/Peak, both under the consultation of Richard D. James. Those have the best, most complete implementation of user scales/tuning that I’m aware of on hardware synths (actually DX7ii is pretty good for my purposes too, but only has two user tuning slots internally, which isn’t as many as I’d like).

A simpler implementation, which is still a huge help, is found on the Dirtywave M8 (with 16 user scale slots I believe). This is only for up-to-12-note, octave-repeating scales. A lot of synths, like some Rolands and older Korgs (see microtonal-synthesis.com for a list that goes up to the early 2000s I think) have something similar (with only a single user slot), but usually are limited to only adjusting fine tuning of each of the “normal” 12 pitch classes, within a narrow range (usually 50-63 cents) which is a quite annoying limitation, since it prevents more unequal tunings (for example, if one wanted to have a few “enharmonic” versions of the “same” note, very close together). The M8 fortunately has both a coarse tuning (adjust by semitones, from -24 to +24) and fine tuning (adjust by cents, allowing 100 gradations between each semitone) parameter for each scale degree, which is sort of like the Korg and Novation implementations, although, again, the M8 is limited to 12-note octave-repeating sets, whereas the Korg and Novation give this freedom across the entire MIDI note range (and very importantly, the coarse retuning is not even confined to any range like the M8’s +/-24; each MIDI note number can be individually assigned to any pitch across the synth’s entire range.)

The M8-style implementation (12notes) goes a long way toward including most non-Western traditions like Maqam (as far as I know. I seem to recall Khyam Allami making this point somewhere, maybe in a Clubhouse discussion although I don’t recall for sure; of course, there are aspects of say, Raga, that really aren’t accounted for at all in the Western concept of scale–that is, the nature of the movement between steps and microtonal embellishments of a “single” scale degree–still, let’s take this one step at a time.), although the full-128 note retuning is generally necessary for more intensely experimental or densely harmonic approaches à la Harry Partch, Ben Johnston string quartets, Sevish, Wendy Carlos’ Beauty in the Beast, La Monte Young drone structures (to be fair, LMY’s style also requires much more fine tuning precision than 1-cent, so for instance, the Dream House sound environment uses a custom synthesizer and/or software), etc.

Also, besides setting up the scale itself, it’s nice to have both a coarse and fine tuning adjustment for the root/key as an independent parameter (so the whole scale can be transposed freely. Note that the vast majority of scales/tunings that have ever been used, even in the West, do not have equal step sizes like 12ed2 chromatic, so you cannot simply use the same set of pitches for an isomorphic scale in different key). M8 has only coarse (semitone) adjustment of this (although you can use a sequencer workaround for fine adjustment I believe), and I believe the Korg and Novation implementations have both coarse and fine root/key adjustment, although I haven’t looked at those for a while. I don’t need this feature often myself, but it’s quite essential for completeness’ sake.

Whew. I hope this is fairly comprehensible. These are audible truths to me; not so fun to write about as to hear.

5 Likes

Song mode’s fab. Thanks!
(What’s the fastest way to pattern re/name now?)

1 Like

I guess it could be possible to get some microtonal/exotic scales by playing with TUNE + parameter locks to lower or raise specific notes, let’s say by a quarter of tone.

1 Like