iPhone for recording: how about quality?

I picked up a Rode AI-Micro based on Stone262’s recommendation in this thread…

Although it’s for mic level, all you need to do is reduce the in-gain level and it works perfectly for line level signals, so you shouldn’t have any issues with your gain. It also works in the Apple camera video app, and Rode’s own apps (which are perfect for video and audio recs), and I presume any other video app on the Apple phone. For £60 you can’t go wrong, and you don’t need the Apple camera connector either. I just just use the line level out from my mixer/device rather than USB.

2 Likes

Yeah I do that on the couch…finds it as external audio then turn on the monitor in GarageBand.

2 Likes

That looks sweet. Had no idea. Thanks for the info!

Do you know if it’s possible to sync midi at the same time? For example transport and clock when recording audio

1 Like

Uuoff err no idea! Can’t say I’ve thought to try. I just use it as recording sketch pad when I can’t or too lazy to turn on the studio. I used just record straight into the standard voice memos app then found worked in GB.

1 Like

Got it! Yeah not even sure if it would be worth the hassle. Either way I’m amazed that you can record jams directly over usb into the phone!

Amazing! This might be just what I’m after to make quick video jams. Cheers!

Hey no problem - thanks to Stone262 on this one. It really is a quality piece of kit for the price, and it’s absolutely tiny.

1 Like