JoMoX Alpha Base Analog Drum Synthesizer

Still checking back to see if anyones got the hot Mbrane tips and tricks. Would love some good jumping off points!

1 Like

The Brane 11 desktop you mean? If so Iā€™m having one delivered on Monday I bought one in new condition, right now Iā€™m putting midi ccā€™s into Digitakt ready for use with the MBrane so Iā€™ll give some feedback this coming week.

Ah just seen you must mean the MBrane on the drum machine sorry

Yeah, no worries!

Been looking for some good Mbrane and FM synth patches/examples for ages. Thereā€™s a pretty decent Mbrane snare patch on one of the included kits so itā€™s definitely capable. I just find it so hard to tame!

Someone must have some goodies to share :slight_smile:

i watched the video, the electronic world needs more Jurgensā€™s , Jurgen is my man, respect!

Good post! What, if anything, did you eventually settle on? Whatā€™s your current go to drum machine?

Blasting the Alphabase through the Overstayer Modular Channel. Whatever you think about it this machine has a natural penchant for hard hitting kicks. Even though they arenā€™t my forte I must say I had a ton of fun blasting a few patterns at nearly 140bpm :slight_smile:

http://www.instagram.com/p/CLHb1RcqACI/

7 Likes

Iā€™m much more interested in all that Verbos! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

hehe :slight_smile: The system is 90% Verbos, youā€™re hearing the Complex oscillator there.

1 Like

A couple recent loops with the Alphabase & modular though the Overstayer

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN8AvF2qpaC/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN2jDMeKk3j/

7 Likes

dopeā€¦
I remember good old dayz with Xbase09 and Sherman FB : )

Miss a bitā€¦
But stay with Tempest for analog drumming atmā€¦

4 Likes

Sounds amazing. I was just pontificating about the Overstayer Modular Channel the other day and how I wanted one. This isnā€™t helpingā€¦ at all. :rofl:

3 Likes

Hehe, Iā€™m sorry I wonā€™t be able to help here as Iā€™m really out of words to describe how much I love this box.

3 Likes

Played it today for the first time at perfect circuit. Best sounding drum machine Iā€™ve ever played. Could barely figure out how it works and it was way above my pay grade for sound design. Still, incredible. If this had a better UI Iā€™d have bought it on the spot.

2 Likes

Honestly itā€™s really not too complicated. Iā€™ve barely read the manual and I can sound design all I want. Mostly itā€™s one knob per function, with limited but useful screen feedback.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a quick video I made about making super short loops, as if they were to be cut on a vinyl as locked grooves. Alphabase doing all the percussive sounds and also a strange cymbal.

9 Likes

Alphabase and a shit ton of processing

edit, later :
I made a dedicated video where I just run a few Alphabase patterns into the Modular Channel and turn the knobs for a while :

13 Likes

You have some infectious groove going in those patterns. Lovely sounds.

1 Like

Iā€™m eager to find out what makes this drum machine so polarising. From some, it offers the best in analogue circuitry, while others say it has a frustratingly unusable OS. When you look for reviews online, there are hardly any. Even YouTubeā€™s most prominent celebrities have overlooked this machine. Why is it such an enigma?

Whenever Iā€™ve used sample packs in the past, the Jomox folder has always been my favourite, especially for kicks. I also canā€™t entirely agree with everything the interest says (Iā€™m often told I need an IQ of 150 to understand an Elektron box, which I certainly donā€™t possess). Iā€™ve therefore decided the only way to find out if my favourite sounding drum machine is unusable is to buy one.

Hello Alpha Base, goodbye No New Gear 2022.

9 Likes

Curious to hear you find it, as I also like the Jomox kicks.

1 Like