Kodamo EssenceFM

Dark ambient with a lot of aliasing :blush:

6 Likes

Kodamo have just announced a bunch of upcoming gear, like an essencefm mk2 with minor improvements and a few new mysterious synths with engines tbd

5 Likes

Really loving my EFM, getting some very nice results from it and Iā€™ve been able to pick it up pretty much instantly without any need for even reading the manual which is impressive for a synth that can go as deep as this thing can!

Also very impressed with the company, I had a few questions I emailed them this morning and they pretty much got back to me instantly and gave a really thorough answer. Iā€™d definitely recommend this thing to everyone!

3 Likes

demos please :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll make some eventually but would like to do it justice by spending a bit more time with it first.

1 Like

Them: ā€œā€¦pocket grooveboxā€¦ā€
Me: :eyes:

2 Likes

So a 37 and 61 key version.

ADDED; The Mark 2 just adds removable rack ears.

1 Like

I briefly thought, why not call it Beatmasquer, but then realized in French it would look like the infinitive form of a verb.

1 Like

The Mk2 is now on their website, shipping Feb 2021. Also they commissioned some presets which are sounding promising. Really hope we can get a comparison of the efm and the opsix soon. https://youtu.be/kUXpJmvBeok

2 Likes

Kodamo has awesome customer service. Iā€™m really pleased after finally contacting them about an issue I was havingā€“very quick and very helpful.

For those wondering, my power had been turning off/on at the slightest movement of the power cable, so after a couple emails I was able to quickly resolve the issue (the nut on the Kodamoā€™s power jack needed to be tightened). Wish I hadnā€™t procrastinated for months and contacted them when I first got my Essenceā€¦

2 Likes

Just the fact that the Opsix is not multi-timbral is pretty much making it completely irrelevant compared to the EssenceFM.

4 Likes

Soundwise, one-on-one, it can be compared.

3 Likes

How do people feel about the jog wheel on their EssenceFMs? I finally picked one up second hand and the jog wheel on mine feels real wobbly and plastic ā€” definitely the cheapest-feeling thing on the machine. Surprising for its central role (though I guess the touchscreen is the real star of this show).

Is this a thing for anyone else?

I suppose filter FM, the filters, the effects and more/different tactile control would be a selling point for the opsix. But with the opsix at around 800 euro and the efm at 1100 I think the EFM wins easily, assuming the FM sounds are otherwise similar.

1 Like

I actually donā€™t use the jog wheel on mine at all and recently wondered whether itā€™s necessary! :slight_smile: the screen is so good I donā€™t find the need to scroll, though I do like the up and down and undo keys

1 Like

I got the new Opsix and in spite of how much I wanted it it doesnā€™t really ring my bell. Not really. It is also pretty big and I feel that Iā€™m not getting that much more than what the Digitone can do. Maybe it is too smooth after all.

Is it safe to assume that the EssenceFM is a much better option?
I do hear that the EFM sounds more vintage as @Astrolab has said and from what Iā€™ve heard I would describe it as having a stronger hardware character (like a modular unit) while the Opsix sounds more smooth and polished. I just didnā€™t really like the EFM presets Iā€™ve heard - but I do like the sounds in the videos you posted here which are well crafted. Really like @Snipecatcherā€™s oddball patches too :+1: It seems like you can do a lot with it. EFM is smaller which I really prefer but the sound of a synth is always most important.
Preordering EccenceFM 2 is rather temptingā€¦ :smile:

1 Like

The time Iā€™ve spent with mine has been very positive, I had an SY77 prior to it which I really loved because of its character but I actually preferred the character of the EFM! The SY77 had a classic FM character that I found difficult to get away from where as the EFM I felt like it was quite neutral and I could get it to sound however I wanted and was always very impressed with the patches I was getting out of the thing.

I think FM synthesis is something very individual in terms of the kinds of patches we like, I too donā€™t find the typical FM sounds very appealing and so didnā€™t like too many of the presets but Iā€™m sure youā€™d be able to get it to make tons of sounds thatā€™d suit you.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a mkI and think that ā‚¬1095 pre-order price for the mkII is a steal. I really wish Iā€™d been able to take advantage of it.

Sound wise, my go to FM has always been my TX816. And for what itā€™s worth the EFM has taken over for it completely. Preset wise, Iā€™ve never heard an FM preset I liked, including the EFMā€™s. But the good news is itā€™s incredibly easy to patch. Iā€™ve come up with more sounds more quickly while having more fun with the EFM than any other FM I can remember, and Iā€™ve had a lot of them.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been listening to a lot of demos of the EFM and it has an amazing fullness and smoothness to the sound, itā€™s really gorgeous! I would love to own one but I have quite a few FM synths around the studio alreadyā€¦

1 Like

Soarer, were you able get any really good bass sounds from the Opsix? I donā€™t mean just traditional bass patches, but specifically patches with a good amount of low frequency content. Iā€™ve listened to soo many videos of it now really wanting to like it, but it sounds so ā€œflatā€ and limp compared to the Digitone or the EFM. I mean, just listening to something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUXpJmvBeok of the EFM, then playing my Digitone, then watching a bunch of videos of the Opsixā€¦ the Opsix is totally lifeless!