Korg ARP 2600 Reissue

It’s priced along side equivalent reissues though - thinking Model D and Oberheim Two Voice Pro. Seems reasonable on those grounds. I bought the latter and personally wouldn’t trade that for this, but it certainly seems comparable.

And another vintage synth clone by Korg yawn
Can Korg even design their own original designs and not just ripoffs?! This is so boring and uninspiring.

Seiki Kato the CEO is just a hack anyway. I hope the build quality is better than the Volca Keys that I used to have (had a broken knob and the keyboard was a nightmare)

By the way, I used to own an OG 2600 in the eighties but had to eventually sell it for a loaf of bread, a bottle of milk and some eggs. Now they go for 8 grand, yikes!

Anyway I am not interested in this synth at all, just wanted to let you all know how I dont care about this synth at all.

/s :rofl:

4 Likes

after 50 years they won’t even think about a competition with Behringer, their marketing strategy is to go “Boutique” VS Behringers “punk attitude” —-which I prefer anyway :bomb:

I would buy 10 Neutrons and a midi keyboard

Nicely written snarky humor. You made me smile.

i don’t get where u see punk attitude ?? it is totally opposite from being punk, pure-cold-calculated money-making :wink:

1 Like

wanna see the haters and their Behringer price Ripoff tasks…:sweat_smile:

Just sample them all and be done.

as a customer I see it as the opposite, if Behringer can handle such Analog circuitry for a Bargain and is even able to distribute it worldwide, im ashamed that Korg, with all the experience, can’t lower anything for a great competition. that’s a Ripoff and Uli has this Robin Hood “punk attitude” deciding to lean against the rich and old manufacturers.

GReAT :+1:

I am seriously considering buying something from Andertons just because I’m starting to love their videos so much.

4 Likes

except, Uli is not giving them away for free, like robinhud would.

If you look at it as a consumer, than you are never gonna see it like Uli does. For them, it is just fishing for thousands of small fish, who are two small to be fished with the big fish netz :wink:
not that anything is wrong with that :smiley:

1 Like

I posted a comment on the video as well, sorry but it’s driving me nuts. Can somebody list all of the famous sounds that they tease in their video? I recognize a bunch of them but can’t remember what songs they are in. Weather Report-Birdland and R2D2 for sure, but those are pretty obvious.

1 Like
1 Like

Nice that they seem to have been pretty faithful to the original, probably the right strategy to keep numbers limited as I don’t think it is a mass appeal synth anyway, given the price and size.

Whilst I am glad that it exists, it isn’t on my wishlist, even if I had the money and the space for it, I think from a historical perspective a faithful recreation like this is quite important though. I don’t see it in the same light as the inevitable Behringer one, I see the Korg as a proper tribute rather than a purely commercial venture.

I think these days I’m more excited by future analog legends

Analog Keys, oh yeah!

2 Likes

But in the ‘70ies it was one of the best synths around and today it’s not… Not even close! Imo it’s just too expensive for what it is.
Even if you have money to burn and even if you’re absolutely crazy about analog synths and even if you’re already willingly drowning in this omnipresent retromania, it’s a lot of money!

1 Like

I do think for that money i too would go for the easel however. The arp is a classic. Cry interesting workflow and an equally inspiring Instrument

I think there is something timeless about the easel design. Like a Steinway. It really is more than the sum of its parts.

’ I think these days I’m more excited by future analog legends’.

Thats a big statement. How can you predict such a thing?

I can’t, I’m only speaking on a personal level - an example being the AK which I find more exciting than clones of synths that I grew up wanting or owning first time around. This isn’t to write them off though, obviously simple direct UI and great sound are hugely important, but I don’t consider these traits as particularly exciting after a little while.

2 Likes

Is it Through-Hole or Surface Mount ?

Almost certainly smd there is no advantage to through hole.