Korg Arp 2600M

that’s awesome he did another series for the 2600m. I remember watching his series on the 2600 back in like 2010, shortly after when I got mine. and likewise when I got my MS20. the videos look and sound so much better now! dude’s a synth legend and I’m grateful for all his hard work on instructional videos… :raised_hands:

2 Likes

I was thinking about doing another video about the 2600m as well, a sort of “one year later” kind of thing. Will try that this month if I can.

3 Likes

Thats the route I took. That was the original intention for the Oddy. The most used controls from the 2600 in a condensed package.

I realised I wouldnt use the 2600 to its full potential. Cant attest to sound similarity but Im glad of the route I took.

Saved me a ton of money as well. Although seeing prices coming down for the 2600

1 Like

I would love to hear a sound comparison between the original ARP 2600 and the new Korg ARP 2600M.

Funny enough I’ve already watched this while comparing them but thanks anyway :+1:

1 Like

Both are built on a similar architecture and are close in sound. The filter sections are not identical. Therefore, they will not sound exactly alike. The 2600M is obviously more flexible for sound design, but the Odyssey will more than suffice for most. Either is a good option.

2 Likes

Prices seem to have dropped again (in the UK)

1 Like

Wow £1200 is a great price!

Korg seem to be dropping a lot of prices lately…

1 Like

gets me nervous

In a way it saddens me that prices are dropping presumably because the product isn’t selling well. I’d like KORG to have success and keep producing what I would term fringe synths, including another one i fancy the opsix, also discounted and now discontinued i believe.

The 2600M still seems new to me, maybe it’s <2 years is actually a normal shelf-life for a KORG synth? I hope it’s profitable or at least breaks even.

1 Like

I’d love one but haven’t got the funds right now. Hope they don’t go away anytime soon!

2 Likes

My NuTekt NTS-2 oscilloscope kit + PATCH & TWEAK with KORG finally arrived. This means I have to get either the ARP 2600 M or MS-20. I must honour this agreement.

2 Likes

If I put my business hat on then I’m a little sad that Korg miscalculated and ended up with a few products that aren’t quite right for 2023.

But if I put my artistic hat on, I’m delighted that these are selling cheap and people who previously couldn’t dream of owning a 2600 may be able to lay hands on them.

Same with my Syntrx: it’s lost a lot of value since I bought it, but it’s so much fun I’m happy that others can buy them more easily now.

2 Likes

so does the KARP 2600M sound as good as the original?

2 Likes

The plastic nut was by far the most controversial feature.

I noticed some of the most outspoken haters of the nut ended up buying anyway. :rofl:

Authenticity compared to the original practically never comes up as a topic.

3 Likes

probably around 2 years since it was basically an open secret known to be coming but not announced. but it wasn’t available to actually get until about April of last year. i.e. available less than a year now.

1 Like

It’s crazy how much important that felt to me at first, but then when I got it and played with it it became TOTALLY irrelevent hahaha.

2 Likes

I think the main concern for that came from users of the MS-20 mini who said they had issues with these feeling flimsy and breaking over time. I guess time will tell if that will occur but the synth feels so robust that I - just like you - have completely forgotten it was ever a concern. or that they’re even fake.

maybe Korg learned from the MS-20 mini and these are a different design. or maybe they’re assembled differently since the 2600m is manufactured and not DIY? I dunno. but I have faith in the fake nuts.

2 Likes

The MS20 mini isn’t a DIY kit. The kit that Korg sold was for the full-size MS20, which uses threaded metal nuts.

Despite the purported plastic nutz, the 2600M is solid and heavy. Doty says it’s an exact recreation of the original, just scaled down. i don’t think the MS-20FS vs MS-20 mini is a fair analog. More like a Hummer H1 to a Hummer H2.

1 Like