Korg Discontinuing and Selling Off Synths ( OPSIX, etc )

Maybe they need to clear out their videos too. :laughing:

Good show of their Sequenz stands too.

Let’s hope they’re just bringing back the OPSIX in a new form of some sort.

3 Likes

Ever since falling in love with the opsix, I’ve been eyeing the modwave.

Also, someone listed an MDmk2 for 1100.

I sworn off new gear and the devil is tempting me

2 Likes

One thing I like to do with mine is play something on the keys, then hold down the damper pedal while twisting the mod knobs to hear changes in the rhythm and other behaviors

1 Like

That is a hilariously burly stand for those light synths. Any idea what it is / where to get one?

The Wavestate is very good. I don’t know how true to the original Wavestation it is, but independent sequencing lanes are fun to play with.

2 Likes

When I glance through the vids on Korg’s channel, there seems to be only 2 types of Opsix videos:

1. No-talking demos by Richard Devine, etc. making sounds
  2. Tutorials

That’s it, Nothing really marketing the Opsix on what it has to offer that other FM synths don’t. Our own AdamJay has done the best job so far in that area.

4 Likes

Korg bought Sequenz a few years back. Excellent.

2 Likes

I’m not having much luck with the Sequenz website at the moment unfortunately. That stand would be perfect for me!

Don’t tell me they’ve been discontinued !? :crazy_face:

This address from Korg is just white space : sequenzmusicgear.com

You can get to sub addresses within that site though, like : https://www.sequenzmusicgear.com/dl/Examples_of_compatible_products_e.pdf

Anybody with some good internet snooping ability ?

This is probably nothing, but we’ll consider it on topic for about three posts for a few hours.

The Sequenz products come up on the Sweetwater store web-site.

Back on the OPSIX topic:

My OPSIX arrived from Sweetwater. Synth turns on and is running OS 1.0.3. Display plastic is present and attached, screen seems fine (similar to the used Wavestate I also have), synth makes sounds and responds to controls.

My Mac has shit the bed, so I’ll be spending the rest of the evening attempting to unfuck it. Hopefully I’ll be able to do the 2.0 update tomorrow.

4 Likes

So far, the most pain I’ve had, related to Opsix, was installing the Opsix firmware updater app. My Mac is on Catalina. It didn’t recognize Korg as a trustworthy developer or something. Took forever to get into security preferences and figure out what settings to tweak to get the Mac to trust the installer for the updater app. Then the installation itself took a long time.

1 Like

There’s a PDF with instructions for the actual updater (separate from the synth manual). It took me forever to find that thing, but they did call out the step for allowing it in the system preferences.

For others about to update firmware:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/874/

After you go to the system updater area, before the download, you’ll see:

"Please refer to opsix_Updater_E.pdf "

That PDF file is actually part of the firmware package. You’ll see it in the directory after you open the package file.

It would be easier if they just had a simple page on their site with all the PDFs, but whatever. Hope this helps someone

7 Likes

I succeeded in updating my Opsix to 2.0.1 as noted in this post. What I didn’t mention at the time was that my Mac under Catalina sometimes takes a long time to open System Preferences. After I told the Mac to allow Korg to install, the silly Mac took a ridiculous amount of time to save the changes.

The other thread also has some other 2.x thoughts

But what you posted is helpful for other Mac users who also bought an Opsix. I’m sure it’s appreciated.

4 Likes

Oh gotcha. Yeah, I’m a “read the manual before doing the thing” kind of person, so it wasn’t intuitive that i couldn’t find the updater manual before downloading the software.

Someone else was telling me that it’s really convoluted to update the firmware on Windows. Like you need to basically install the opsix as a network interface in the operating system (?) I haven’t used Windows in decades – I either use Linux, BSD or Mac, big Unix geek – but after hearing that, maybe I’ll stop complaining about Apple breaking stuff as they “innovate”, because we’re pretty spoiled in macOS land when it comes to getting things to just work.

That kinda sounds like the set of hoops I had to jump through to update my Wavestate. I had to follow the Restore Boot Partition procedure, because the updater stubbornly refused to cooperate

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=810796&sid=40f8d3f256b15416ab6cb122314b6892

1 Like

My OPSIX arrived today from Sweetwater and the screen is completely kaput, unfortunately. Bummed because it sounds phenomenal, but I’ll have to wait and see what my rep says about a repair/replacement.

3 Likes

I was reading a post on reddit about the screen replacement. Might be helpful. He linked a PDF with pictures and the procedure, but I think he said he was pretty experienced with servicing electronics.

5 Likes

I read through that and was encouraged. Replacement doesn’t require any soldering, just careful and delicate mechanical work. If you are careful about managing static electricity (use a mat and a strap as recommended) and use plastic spudgers instead of metal screwdrivers it should be a fairly easy process.

Compare to replacing the screen on my TG-77: the box was a little easier to open, but there was a fair amount of soldering to be done, a resistor needed to be clipped out, and the fluorescent backlight and associated step-up circuitry had to be removed. I considered that a moderately complex electronics project (there is a similar instructional doc out there for that project too).

As long as you have a reasonable amount of hand dexterity, can follow instructions and work methodically then a repair like this should be within your grasp. Or that guy you know who is always fixing up broken phones can do it.

1 Like

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that getting the screen repaired by Korg would take 3+ months because they’re out of screens and who knows how long the actual service takes. Personally I would try to get the screen part and replace it if my screen were broken.

@Flood this seems to be the screen used in that post about the replacement, if you’re going down that route:

https://www.usmicroproducts.com/product/USMP-P27706

I don’t have any concrete info on the part name/number, but people in that reddit thread were also talking about an alternative screen part from AliExpress that has blue or green text, which might actually be a fun alternative.

2 Likes

One of the things I learned when repairing my TG-77 is that nearly every synth from the early '90s with a large screen used the same display part. That display used a very standard text/graphics controller and modern screens are available that use the same controller but have been updated with LED backlights to replace the hot and voltage hungry fluorescent tube. That complicated my TG-77 repair, but also eliminated the high pitched whine from the fluorescent circuitry, so was a net win.

The synth market is small compared to the guitar market, and both are probably small compared to consumer electronics in general. My guess is that a synth maker will never have enough volume for a custom screen (but will often customize a standard part). So it should almost always be possible to find a suitable replacement screen and DIY a screen repair

1 Like

how cheap was it actually?