Learning Music Theory

And harmonics must be “sing songy”!

2 Likes

I mostly got A flats ehhehe… :joy:

1 Like

You can follow what you like AND know what you’re doing right?

You just have to be the one in charge of yourself. I guess I’m good at shutting my brain off if I need/want to.

I usually play things and record them however I feel, no theory. I find keys to play and just feel something out as I go. If some section isn’t working I try some theory later to see if I like it better.

I really think it’s a matter of each individual knowing what they need. You can’t know If it would benefit you until you try it though.

1 Like

Respectable :smiley: haha

1 Like

Do you have some kind of a “method” for shutting down your brain while playing or is it something you’ve always been able to do? I mean have you practiced that in some way? I would really like to get better at that.

1 Like

Well yes, it’s also a dictionary.
I guess it’s a way to facilitate dialog and/or instructions between musicians, composer, conductor.

Good question and I’m not exactly sure.

I guess it’s kind of a form of meditation. I usually close my eyes or space out and try to calm and relax myself.

To clear my mind, I used to think of one little cloud in the big blue clear sky. A cloud can take any form (there are no rules :joy:) so you just let it grow and change shape.

The idea is to stop thinking about anything except this very moment.

Then I just try not to control what my hands do and follow the least path of resistance.

Maybe just practicing that. I don’t really meditate in a classic sense or anything. I’m guessing that this is what meditation it’s though.

3 Likes

I have great tolerance about Jazz snobbery, some might even say i actually love it…

2 Likes

This is very inspiring!! I do often play with my eyes closed but haven’t tried to visualise something abstract like that while playing. Thank you for this idea, I really like it a lot and will definitely give it a proper go!!

1 Like

Same here…tested for college with an essay test. Got placed in advanced English…I can barely fucking spell. :thinking:

Needless to say, failed miserably and was dropped back to the 100s

1 Like

If Attack Magazine Beat Dissected articles count as Music Theory then consider me a Professor of Musicology

2 Likes

:sunglasses:

Thanks for reminding me honestly.

I sort of forgot about the cloud thing. It helps me get there faster.

1 Like

Unacceptable :rofl:

1 Like

I know, I know…but i have even darker secrets.

1 Like

Like I said…I believe those that say it gets in the way use it and an excuse to not do anything.

I know NOTHING, I can’t imagine knowing some would hurt. I spend so much time making stuff that sounds like shit. I think having some knowledge would put a little shine on it.

1 Like

Awesome!! It’s these kind of insights and conversations that make this the best forum out there.

1 Like

Jazz [the music :slight_smile: ] :+1:t6:

If you know Broad City. a cautious funny

2 Likes

Don’t we all… :slight_smile:

1 Like

College English/writing professors care much more about thoughts and ideas than being correct. Probably why you got in.

They just have to pay their bills and colleges need scientific proof of your ability for a degree.

In other words, teacher thinks your mind is great! College doesn’t care lol

1 Like

Why learn music theory? To understand esoteric musician jokes!

Q: How many bass players does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Five…one…five…one…five…one…

Q: What do you get when you drop a piano down a mine shaft?

A: A flat minor

Thanks, everybody, for keeping this conversation alive. I got flagged earlier in the thread, and I deserved it. Sorry.

The computer scientist, Donald Knuth said, “Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer, Art is all the rest.” Her wrote a series of books on computing, entitled “The Art of Computer Programming.” He argued that computer programming (in its current state of development) was an art, not a science. He also said that we should strive to transform the art into a science, and that, in the process, we will advance it as an art.

IMO, the same applies to music. Learning theory may remove a shawl of mystery and magic from your music, but it will reveal the music more clearly, availing you to even deeper mysteries.

1 Like