Let's really dig into Rytm's gorgeous distortion...what is it?

^first track i made using this trick, i think it was running through some compression in Ableton as well, but the distortion/breaking/cutting out is Rytm

^it’s pretty clear here on this track as well (this one gets pretty noisy/dirty at moments). the distortion breaking thing is used on some other tracks on that album as well, but it’s probably most obvious here on this track.

both tracks also have synth sounds into the input of the Rytm, so in conjunction with the distortion/compression breaking and cutting out it ends up really being pretty twitchy stuff. :slight_smile:

20 Likes

Cool stuff! Need to experiment…

2 Likes

Damn thats cool, thanks for sharing! Twitchy is a good description, of the second track especially. Really suits that glitchy/breaky beat. Gonna try messing with plocking and lfo on the symmetry now, thanks.

1 Like

thanks y’all, it takes some kinda specific tweaking to get it just right but it’s a pretty unique sound imo. hope to hear some other people’s takes on it too

1 Like

Here’s some of that lovely clicky pop-through of the drums…
If anyone could tell me what genre this beat falls into, I’d be grateful.

7 Likes

AFAIK it is indeed a DC offset. That’s why the compressor can behave a bit weird (but quite cool imo) when it’s pushed up.

And yeah, I agree - the Rytm distortion is really nice.

15 Likes

falls under the genre of

SOLID AS FUH

3 Likes

Got my own distorted AR thing. Heavy use of the A-Symmetry, reverb pre comp, and distorting the comp with makeup.

Thanks for the tips in here all!

I’m still in that early over the top phase with this drive but I was fresh off a 13 hour shift so I just felt like making something as destroyed as I was.

17 Likes

I don t get how some people can t be in love with this machine…

4 Likes

As much as I share your sentiment…I would say the areas where, for me, the Rytm platform/concept could be taken to the next level are:

• Stereo sample playback or at least pad linking
• Sample timestretch
• Sample start time can lock to transients vs 128 equally spaced values
• Filter bypass (the Rytm just does not allow the SIZZLE to come through like on the Digitakt)
• 8-bar patterns
• 256 sample slots per project
• AMP Page 2 containing a Transient Designer effect
• Compressor sidechain can point to any track, not just respond to master signal
• MIDI and CV controllable sequence playback position (I know, a guy can dream)
• Better pads

But still, none of that stops me. Rytm is my BABY. 90% of my songs feature the Rytm.
:heart_eyes::3lektron::elan::fist:

5 Likes

I feel this.
Would like a way to get the giant sized 576 slots M:S has, but retain the MIDI based automation we get with the 128 slots, since some peeps like to LFO that.

So maybe 4 slot list banks, to choose from on a per track basis. 512 total slots.

Move the loop setting to a second SMP page to make room for the bank #. Who among us is freaking the LOP switch live anyway?

And yea… more distortion parameters in the fx section, of course :pray:

Oh man, I was just doing p-locks with the loop switch yesterday. can make for a sweet alternative to the delay send…

1 Like

P-locking/ programming… sure.

I use it to fake the delay on MS when I want to use the delay as a phaser.

But I don’t think many would gripe at seeing the loop switch move back a page in favor of more sample slots :slight_smile:

I will be real interested in seeing if Elektron continues to update this machine as dramatically as they have done so far. Even 1-2 updates as robust as the last one, and incorporating some of the above requests would be fantastic.

2 Likes

Lovely!

1 Like

Very nice. Seriously, that makeup gain is the balls. I often put it to a scene and punch in and out. Talk about dynamic!

2 Likes

Related question: if I want that (or very similar) distortion to apply to my other units (my understanding is it’s impossible with AR due to its architecture - inputs go after) - can you recommend any MIDI-controllable standalone device, be it pedal or any other form-factor? TIA.

Well it will hit the compressor. But the distortion path could be a considered a rough draft for the Analog Heat.

:elan: Heat MKII is interesting for sure (because it can be subtle), but really pricey, and I’m not sure about the fullness of its MIDI implementation (had no time to read up on it yet).

Anything else? Maybe some distortion+compressor combo with good stereo sound quality?

What do you want to do with its MIDI capabilities?

If you look at the APPENDIX:MIDI, you have control over every parameters via CC’s.

2 Likes