LFO.T and FLT.T uses?

It’s hard to gauge your situation in text.
If you can be arsed posting an example, people would probably get it straight away.

It sounds to me like it might be a combination of wave shapes and rates that are throwing you off.

The way I find simplest to explain LFO.T is to picture one bar of hi-hats… imagine you want to gradually go from a closed hat to an open hat sound, so the hats open up across the bar.

Make the LFO destination the Decay of your sound (either in the Amp adsr or Syn decay, depending on your device).

You’d set your LFO wave shape to saw and give it a negative value. Turn LFO.T off, then switch it on for the first step as a p-lock.

The speed and depth that you set the LFO too will determine how ‘open’ the hats get.
Speed is important because if it’s too fast the wave shape will go back to the start before the end of the bar, and then trigger again on step 1.
So, the slower you set the rate/speed, the less ‘open’ the hats will get.

Once you get that, you can apply it any parameter… could be pitch, reverb send, anything you want.

And then you can start ‘playing’ the reset via p-locks, so you can syncopate a rhythm on the hats just using the LFO.T, for example.

For what you’re trying to do,

You need the trig mode to be set on trig for it to start off the same place every time, not on free mode.

I think.

It’s been said already, but what you need to do is on lfo page, set the mode to triggered (the second mode, the one with the little arrow underneath,) this will free run until an lfo trigger is received.

On the trig page, set your default lfo.t to off, so it free runs by default.

On trigs 1 and 49, plock lfo.t to on, so it retriggers the lfo. done.

edit: if you’re also plocking a different sound at this point, make sure the other sound also has the lfo in trigger mode.

4 Likes

thank you - this makes sense and it should work - but it doesn’t! i now have it set up exactly as you describe but the second time around the LFO starts at a different part of it’s cycle, and the whole patterns is off as a result

It’s been said already, but what you need to do is on lfo page, set the mode to triggered (the second mode, the one with the little arrow underneath,) this will free run until an lfo trigger is received.
On the trig page, set your default lfo.t to off, so it free runs by default.
On trigs 1 and 49, plock lfo.t to on, so it retriggers the lfo. done.
edit: if you’re also plocking a different sound at this point, make sure the other sound also has the lfo in trigger mode.

I just ran a test that seems to confirm this. Either LFO triggered mode is buggy, or what I thought was expected behavior is not in fact the expected behavior.

I’d do more testing on this, but I’m rather busy with other things right now.

1 Like

interesting, the plot thickens!

I ended up redoing my entire pattern, and now the trig 49 resets correctly each time, but trig 1 only starts correctly the first time, but on the repeats ends up at a different part of the cycle each time as if it wasn’t set to reset

It would be interesting to elaborate.

Me too ! :wink:
But if you really think there is something unexpected/buggy it can become a kind of priority and I would check it.

Curiosity got the better of me. I repeated the same test, and this time lfo retriggering worked as expected.

Unfortunately, I erased the previous test pattern, so I can’t do a direct comparison, so I don’t know what conclusion to draw.

The most likely thing is that there was something erroneous about my original test that I failed to do wrong the second time around, although the first time around I went through several variations with lfo retrigger failing pretty consistently.

The other possibility is that there is some sort of bug, but it has a precondition I didn’t repeat the second time around.

I’ll go with the first possibility, since I’ve already wasted too much time on this, although johnnyhaggis seems to still be having an issue with it, so there’s that.

Interestingly I found out that on the trigger page, only the portamento settings are saved with the sound, which wasn’t what I was expecting. I also discovered that using the sound manager is annoying af.

2 Likes