Linnstrument

For any guitarists interested in the LinnStrument, just know that there is a “guitar” tuning scheme available as one of the preset scales (i.e. Global Settings—Row Offset—Guitar). In addition to that, you can also tune each row, just like guitar strings, to whatever interval you would prefer.

Cheers!

3 Likes

I know and I don’t want the guitar tuning :wink:

I wasn’t suggesting that you do.

But the LinnStrument is often misunderstood; and since we are advising someone else, I thought it worth clarifying.

I, for instance, do use the “guitar” tuning scheme (with a custom tuning, on the bottom two rows, for standard two-string bass work); such that I can simply apply what I already know.

That’s not trivial, if you’re an accomplished guitarist.

To each their own.

Cheers!

3 Likes

We are indeed advising someone else and you were quoting a part of my post, so my apologies for the confusion :cool: Naturally, violinists and guitarists will have a smoother transition to the Linnstrument, at least as far as the note layout is concerned.

do you live in EU? because I would be interested if you do and still have it on sale, thanks

Fourths tuning is :goat:ed.

Anyone using this as their sole midi controller? How are you liking it?

I decided a while ago to just use desktop synths in my studio (aside from one exception–a minimoog) and everything is controlled from a single midi keyboard controller right now.

I am most familiar with keyboard playing (I have never played anything else, no guitar or anything), but I am not a pro by any means and the way I work I use it mostly for composition and figuring out sequences, chord progressions, etc… If I record in live there is a lot of editing usually.

I was actually thinking that an isomorphic grid controller might make my life easier for composing electronic music (right now I always have to stop and think about what keys are part of what scale, what chords I am playing, etc., for example) and it would be mpe compatible as a nice a bonus. I am just worried that I might be limiting myself and maybe the time would be better spent learning to play the keyboard better. But then again there is only so much time in one life and I can’t be a pro at everything.

I only have room for one or the other in the studio right now… although I do have an electric piano that I use for practicing piano and playing piano pieces, but have never hooked it up to the rest of my studio.

Any thoughts?

In my whole life I always used to have at least one keyboard synth but mostly for it’s sound design capabilities and for lame input of notes into sequencers. I was not able to break the barrier of learning different variations of scales and chords in transposition. 6y ago I turned to Linnstrument, got rid of all B&W keys and never looked back. Isomorphic aspect was a revelation and set me free for further music theory understanding although I still feel like rookie. At least I can express my self musically and even play in a band. MPE sound design is hobby on its own and allows me to “play automations” live that would traditionally took a lot of effort to draw it in automation lanes of DAW. And it sounds naturally more organic then drawing it.
I’d say Linnstrumment is one of the best MPE controllers since it doesn’t require a computer as a host and for configuration. Its UI is top notch, HW is rock solid and self-servicable! Not mentioning Roger is very nice and friendly guy with individual approach to customers. Don’t miss to check the official KVR forum. There are also monthly Zoom calls where you can chat with Roger and other players. Recently non-official Discord came to life as well so community is quite strong already.

6 Likes

I bought my Linnstrument a year ago. Sold my traditional midi keyboard and haven’t looked back. All of my synths are modules or rack gear and learning to play again with a new layout has been rewarding and fun.

The only thing I crave is the bigger Linnstrument (200) as mine only has 128 pads.

1 Like

From a comment on the Osmose thread, I’m now wondering if it would be possible to get a firmware version for the linnstrument that used two rows per note — so less overall range, but more room on the Y axis. I know someone is working on some alternate covers for the playing surface, so possibly one could be designed for that mode. I kinda want to open mine up now and see if it’s discrete sensors per pad or what

1 Like

Physical limitations are described here: Support - LinnStrument - FAQs

1 Like

While I haven’t gotten rid of my keyboards yet, I can confirm and echo others’ sentiments here. Playing LinnStrument, I’m much more likely and able to come up with something closer to what I want to make and want to hear. Then it’s also much easier for me to quickly recall it, adapt it, and riff on it, than on traditional piano keys. Plus, I more effectively & quickly find new ideas. I’m someone who did have basic piano lessons as a child, but never took it very far into theory, and later found playing bass guitar to be semi-revelatory (but again didn’t take it very far).

I’m typically using LinnStrument with hardware synths, but that’s mainly because I’m stubborn (and also because it brings new life to them). The fact that it works so marvelously with either hardware or software is a testiment to its brilliant design. The thread on KVR where a LinnStrument user goes from “I have an idea” to “I made a custom version of the firmware with other people I met on this forum” is honestly one of the most delightful things I’ve seen on the internet in the past decade.

I also <3 the sequencer.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know. But if you look at the physical structure of the sensor from photos etc, it’s clear that the structure of the horizontal and vertical pads is identical — they both have the same spacers between the conductive strips. It can do continuous slides from left to right, so there’s no reason it can’t do them up and down either. So, there’s no hardware reason why you couldn’t move to two row high notes, just a firmware one. Of course, the assumption of single-row notes might be deeply baked into the firmware, making changing it a complete nightmare, and it might also just be something Roger isn’t interested in. Technically, though, it looks entirely doable.

There is a dedicated discussion on this precise topic in the KVR forum: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561285

1 Like

Awesome! Slightly different goal with that specific firmware, but it confirms that it’s doable. Thanks!

Thanks you all, pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear, I think I might take the plunge…

1 Like

doable and also unsupported officially, use custom firmware at your own risk

The problem is not in the design of the sensor itself; but rather, how the LinnStrument triangulates position by scanning the surface and looking for interruptions and redirection of voltages.

Hence why there are limitations as to how many cells you can press down within a single column, and why you can’t play configurations of notes that form a rectangle, etc.

As such, it would not be possible to create larger cells, or to facilitate slides in both the X and Y axes simultaneously.

Cheers!

https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support/how-linnstruments-sensor-works

1 Like

I’ve been a Linnstrument player for several years. Had a semester of high school piano and a few decades of bass playing. I am suddenly a synth player.

I have gigged it with a Micromonsta, a Laptop, and a modular. Flawless. I use it to control synths at home as well.

The Linnstrument takes practice, but it is super flexible. Roger Linn has very specific ideas about it but you can use it many different ways. Don’t worry about whether everything as MPE, though MPE is fun. I also don’t worry about the narrower Y axis.

It’s also very well built and robust.

The only keyboard that’s held my interest since getting it is an actual acoustic piano. And if I could play that with a Linnstrument, I would.

4 Likes

I was basically in the same situation, could play basic stuff on the piano, but couldn’t really improvise. Switching to an isomorphic keyboard helped me a lot, it’s so much more natural.

In my case it’s not a Linnstrument, though. I’m still waiting for my Linnstrument (which I bought used last autumn) to arrive, but that’s another story. Anyway, even without MPE, isomorphic keyboards are awesome.

1 Like