Linnstrument

Chiming in to say that the LS works great with the Continuumini. As a bonus, because the mini has a smaller Y axis, the presets are ready to go. I use an IPad with a powered USB hub and AUM as my MIDI router.

1 Like

The L128 is pretty compact :cool:

1 Like

Does it have all of the features of its bigger sibling?

No AC input, reduced surface size. The rest should be pretty much the same AFAIR.

2 Likes

I might be able to make room for that oneā€¦ :thinking:

One really nice thing about the size of the L128 is that it is the perfect width and depth to sit on an under-the-desk keyboard tray, so you can either slide it underneath the desk when not in use, or pull it out when you want. I sometimes play the Linnstrument with my left hand for bass drones, while playing my main keyboard (Kronos) with my right for melodies (I feel like Paul Schaeffer from the Letterman show).

4 Likes

One thing I can see you really liking about the Linnstrument is that Roger Linn is very directly involved in the support community. I had a couple of questions about it before buying one, reached out to the community at KVR, and Roger PMā€™d me directly more than once with answers and links for more information. Heā€™s such a great guy. My only worry isā€¦ heā€™s getting on in age, and I hope thereā€™s a succession plan to continue to support this great instrument.

1 Like

There is a plan in place foe after rogers passing, I believe. Check the FAQs

I think that the LS128 is far more popular these days. It has a very good size, compact and very usable - fits on the lab and just about anywhere. Together with an iPad Pro, you would have a perfectly portable road option, no power plug needed (if LS is set to low power mode), only the iPad Proā€™s USB C port, a USB B to A cable and a USB A to USB C adapter.

If the Linnstrument were your only synth controller, then the 200 version would probably make a lot more sense.

In both cases, a fitting bag is included in the price. Iā€™ll usually take it out of the bag only when I need it. Same goes for my Continuumini, which is slightly longer than the LS128.

2 Likes

I purchased a Linnstrument earlier this week. Iā€™ve wanted one for a long time. I met Roger Linn years ago at a synth meet and he gave me a very enthusiastic demo that sold me but I didnā€™t have the synths to justify it. Now that Ableton supports MPE and Iā€™ve loaded up on plugins like the SWAM collection Iā€™m ready to dive in.

1 Like

The SWAM plugins are so good with the Linnstrument. Youā€™re going to have a great time!

1 Like

Straight from the proverbial horseā€™s mouth:

It might be me, so be nice to me. :sweat_smile:

Cheers!

10 Likes

Proves my pointā€“what a great guy Roger is.

5 Likes

OK, so less than a month in and the linnstrument has blown my mind. The isomorphic grid layout is great (I set it up for a +6 row offset). Literally one day to learn the major and minor scales and I can play it in any key, no learning the same thing 24 times lol. And I feel like I can already improvise chord progressions so much better than I could on a keyboard. Same shape everywhere in any key and not only that but inversions and extensions are infinitely easier, and doing things like secondary dominants etc. takes almost no thought. Then to add to this it does MPE :open_mouth:. And being able to do slides etc. is soooo nice.

Why is anyone still using synths with a keyboard midi controller?!?! It is even more compact than my little keystep. I am a convert for sure. I only wish it wouldnā€™t have taken me so long to try it.

12 Likes

Try playing some faster melodies, thatā€™s where the layout becomes a bit harder to master.

I havenā€™t had any trouble with melodies, if anything Iā€™ll probably be able to do them a little faster than I can on keyboard with a bit more practice. I still have to get used to the ergonomics (like playing with my thumbs isnā€™t as straightforward), but I donā€™t doubt it will come with time.

4 Likes

Most guitarists use only four fingers anyway. Plus, they think of their index finger as the first finger. Playing with the thumb is equally difficult on the Continuum(ini) and, when it comes to expressive playing, even on the Osmose. So you can look at it as a sort of optional ā€œfingerā€ for melodies, though for chords it seems pretty practical. That does of course not excuse the guitaristsā€™ way of counting fingers ā€¦

2 Likes

I practice the Linnstrument with Bach inventions - you need to use the thumb a lot to make it natural. If you drill on Linnstrument like you drill on a keyboard or guitar you can play fast.

The biggest real challenge on the Linnstrument as far I can tell is velocity control when using more realistic sounds.

4 Likes

Iā€™m also less than a month in and it feels like true love. One of the most inspiring pieces of gear Iā€™ve ever purchased. Absolutely mind blowing!

4 Likes

All these discussions make me so jealous lol. Itā€™s been 6 months since I bought mine (used) and itā€™s still stuck on the other side of the globe. I hope I can get it before the end of the year.

2 Likes