Lo-Fi samplers, beats and things

Don’t forget the SP-202! You can pick one up for about $200 and it sounds as gritty as you like. 16 bit with variable sample rates ranging from 31.25 khz all the way down to a prehistoric 3.91 khz :grimacing: I prefer the 15.63 khz the best. It has a great filter and pitch effect too. But my favorite part is the crappy on board mic. I’ll record my acoustic guitar or just a bottle cap bouncing on the table, and it sounds wonderfully lofi recorded through the mic. The 202 doesn’t have a sequencer, but I use mine to record samples and give them some grit before sending them into the 404.

12 Likes

LoFi-Rosaurus Rex.

3 Likes

I gave Espi 1200 by low hiss vst a workout. And its not bad at all. Compared a few samples with the S2400 i had and not much difference. I guess its small margins in the end.

3 Likes

Are there any stereo pedals that can give the 12-bit treatment to samples? I have a Digitakt and 404mk2 so I don’t really want to buy another sampler but a pedal that could lightly scuff up samples on the way would be pretty useful. I agree with @Sleepyhead that the 404mk2 lofi effects are pretty heavy handed to my ear. Artificial is an excellent way to describe it. The OTO Bim has been mentioned a couple of times which has peaked my interest. I have the Gen Loss mk2 on the way and am hoping that can subtly (and not so subly) effect samples on the way in.

1 Like

I always forget about that program. But word. Dude did a great job emulating the sound of the SP. I’ve never owned an SP-1200 but it sounds right to my ears.

1 Like

I should say I haven’t been extremely extensive in my search. The main things have been Maschine and MPC and they both sound way worse. I’d try the Espi but I don’t see the point when I have a hardware unit lol

It’s does the trick. The delays are also good.

1 Like

I’ve been investigating the Bim based on this thread specifically for running audio through it for the 12-bit sonic characteristic. I came across someone comparing the Bim to the Roland SDE-1000 specifically for this purpose. Does anyone have experience with both? There is an SDE-1000 at a shop near me for $199 and I’m wondering if I should just pick it up or spend the extra cash for the Bim? It will primarily be used for the 12-bit processing but I am of course interested in the delays as well. Are there any other clear advantages or disadvantages to either besides the savings if I pick up the SDE-1000? Thanks.

I believe it. Legendary SP1200 user DJ Muggs claims that he’s completely ITB nowadays, and his music sounds as gritty as ever.

2 Likes

Does the Roland have thru mode like the BIM? From what I understand, that is fairly unique to the BIM. Thru mode allows you to just hit the 12 bit converter, without any delays.

3 Likes

From what I understand (reading a few comment on a YT Bim video), there is a fairly simple workaround to hit the 12-bit without delay but it is not a dedicated thru mode.

1 Like

Well that is interesting.

I went and found the comment from a video about the Bim. Commenter says:
“ I used to do the thru mode trick with an old Roland SDE-1000 (delay and feedback all the way down, no actual thru mode), the BIM has made it much easier. (Though if anyone wants a cheaper option, SDE-1000s are still going for around $150 last I checked.)”

3 Likes

I was wondering the same.

1 Like

have you sampled drums into the microgranny? curious how that sounds.

2 Likes

yeah the delays are unreal. i love mine. need to run drums through it for the 12 bit vibe.

Where can I hear the full version at?

1 Like

There isn’t a full version. I recorded the beat to the vocal to see how it sounded in context. So it was always just that.

I did make a longer version of the beat with the Digitakt. If I remember correctly, it’s just the main sample that went through the Sampletrak and the drums and horns were just samples to the Digitakt.

9 Likes

This thread got me inspired to bust out the P033 again and resample some drums.

3 Likes

Damn that was nice. I need to get back into chopping up samples and making some Hip-hop.

2 Likes