Loopers

Well, actually OT scares me a bit at the moment, since I still need to learn and focus a lot of other synths I bought this year. But eventually I might end up that way. I’m familiar with general Elektron workflow with my A4, both Digis and both Models, but l’m still doubting about the OT. No doubt about it bring great though.

On the other hand,it could end my search for the ‘ideal’ looper. And have a lot more.

What are the specs of the « ideal looper » for you?

Do you need to save the sounds to re-use them later? Do you plan to mangle the sounds while playing or afterwards?
How many tracks? Is it for studio or live? Do you need an undo? Are you rich? How are you? :wink:

1 Like

It’s a scary looper, for sure! :content:
It’s possible to set a Flex track playing its recording directly. The recorder recording constantly with a Rec trig. That saves a Thru machine.
A pattern change to play the recording, next pattern not recording (no rec trigs).

I planned to make sessions with OT + RC505.
5 loops on RC505, constantly recorded / played by OT (1 Flex with its recording played directly). Play with Track Fx, faders > Pattern change : the 5 loops are recorded. Rince and repeat.

2 Likes

I feel like I am not ready for flex, thru, parts, machines, fader… Yet. :grin:

2 Likes

I’m sure you’re FlexAble!

5 Likes

If you don’t use overdub, I definitely would go OT! Learning curve is less then what you would believe reading everything about it. It is if you want to do everything you see on youtube with it, but if you start with only a few basic things you need, like looping, it will be fine!
Now if you need overdub, that’s a different story…

2 Likes

I just sold my EHX720, as it was very limited, and without midi sync. I am now in the market for something better and more complete. I think the Ditto X4 would have checked all my boxes, but I read many people experience loads of issues, crashes, etc, and that’s really a pity.
Other options (that don’t occupy the space of an entire pedalboard) are the discontinued Pigtronix Infinity, and, of course, the pretty expensive Aeros Loop Studio.
I am wondering if Pigtronix is going to present a new pedal at NAMM, so if it’s worth waiting, of just go for the Aeros, and accept to pay that price for a loop station.

Any other advantages of 505 over 202 except track count?

Yes, at the moment I bought it, I didn’t have a decent midi controller yet, so now I already miss midi controlling possibilities on the EHX1440. I watched loopop’s video on the Boss RC-500, and for more or less the same price, I probably should have given that a try. Well… I still might. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And as I said before, I had the 505, but didn’t like to work with it, so I sold with the idea to use more sequences. I don’t remember why I left that option and choose for another looper again. I should reconsider maybe.

Yes. Better display, more parameters. Easier to use.

I will watch Loopop’s video :slight_smile:
edit: just watched, yes it’s cool and definitely better than the ehx! It’s just the Aeros offers so much more (at more than double the price tho)…

Aeros, how did I miss this ? :slight_smile:

Does anyone know if the BOSS RC 500 will do half / double speed playback ? It’s not clear from any video I’ve seen. It may be one of the configurable MIDI options maybe ?
I like the fact you can send different loops to different outs … could be fun with the OT

With RC505 you can change playback speed changing loop length value, but it is timestretched. No pitch change.
I guess RC500 works similarly.

I can definitely recommend the Aeros. Super easy to use, sounds great and syncs to midi well. If set to automatically go into overdub I can easily create seamless loops with reverb or delay before. I thought the touch screen would be lame, but as I learn my way around I realize that it’s mostly just for initial setup of a project and I can navigate with switches and roller while looping. I do hope they add a decay function. Sounds like that and reverse are possible with future updates. They seem open to user ideas and ambitious about firmware updates too.

1 Like

OK, thanks. Shame though … looks like I will dig in to the OT as a looper again

1 Like

OT is an amazing looper, I use a lot of loops and i’ve never felt the need for a pedal looper.

3 Likes

I didn’t know it had the direct overdub! Is this new? When I checked the aeros there was one thing I couldn’t get over… I thought it was the overdub. Do you know if the loop volumes are controllable via midi?