MIDI control both ways

Hi,
I would like to use Alesis Micron together with Monomachine.
Is it possible that in one setup without switching anything:

1. Micron controls Monomachine as a keyboard?
  2. Monomachine controls Micron by it’s sequencer?

I want to use Micron’s synth engine together with Monomachine’s synth.

Can I do that? If yes, how? Please help

Thanks

Yes.

Connect Micron MIDI Out to Monomachine MIDI In.

Connect Monomachine MIDI Out to Micron MIDI In.

On the Monomachine:
[ul]
[li]In the GLOBAL > CONTROL > MIDI CHANNELS menu, use the default MIDI channel number assignments (1 … 9) that are listed in the manual.[/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]In the GLOBAL > CONTROL > CONTROL OUT 1 menu, set ‘SEQUENCER’ to OUT.[/li]
[li]In the GLOBAL > CONTROL > CONTROL IN menu, set ‘TEMPO SYNC’ to INT, set ‘TRANSPORT’ to IGNORE, set ‘PRG CHANGE’ to IGNORE.[/li]
[li]In the GLOBAL > MIDI SEQ menu, set the MIDI channels for the six MIDI sequencer tracks to be 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.[/li]
[/ul]

On the Micron:
[ul]
[li]In [config] mode, set ‘Local Control’ to off, set ‘MIDI Setup mode’ to multi-channel, and set the ‘MIDI channel’ to the same number (9) as the Monomachine’s AUTO TRACK CHANNEL.[/li]
[li]In [seteups] mode, make a setup with up to 7 parts. Part A is for control of the Monomachine - you should be able to play the active track on the Monomachine from the Micron’s keyboard. The next six parts (B to G) contain the programs that the Monomachine’s MIDI sequencer will sequence.[/li]
[/ul]

Many adjustments can be made to this arrangement according to your preferences, so let us know how well it works and whether there’s any more advice that you need.

Wow! Thank you so much for your effort writing all this!
I’ll try it out as soon as I’m back home.

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve tried settings but maybe I’m doing something wrong. . I managed to control mnm with micron’s keyboard but in a strange way. I think don’t get micron’s setups and it’s parts well. Here is what I came up with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZdRP_FCPbU&feature=youtu.be

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

One more thing you can see in video: some paremeter pages are disabled on mnm

hi Voronovitch
try use MM thru out
maybe works…
ciao

Well, you didn’t set up the Monomachine’s MIDI channels the way I suggested.

On the Monomachine:
[ul]
[li]In the GLOBAL > CONTROL > MIDI CHANNELS menu, use the default MIDI channel number assignments (1 … 9) that are listed in the manual.[/li]
[/ul]

To be more explicit:
[ul]
[li]Base channel = 1[/li]
[li]Channel span = 6[/li]
[li]Multi trig ch = 7[/li]
[li]Multi map ch = 8[/li]
[li]Auto track ch = 9[/li]
[/ul]

The Auto track channel is very important - it’s the link from the Micron’s keyboard to the tracks of the MM.

Using the MIDI Thru port of the MM instead of the MIDI Out port would prevent Voronovitch from sequencing the Micron from the MM.

Hi Peter
thanks for your advice.
I do not use keyboards… i prefer using external sequencers, but in case… i’ll follow your valuable suggestions.
However I hope that Voronovitch has found the solution …
cheers

Hi guys,

Yes, thank you so much! I didn’t have enough time to dig in the topic (music is just my hobby and I’m having a super busy time recently) BUT settings work just like Peter wrote - respect!

Anyway - sorry for my lame questions - I’m just a newbie to hardware. I’ve spent some years using mod plug tacker :slight_smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

Since we’re on the subject: Am I crazy or does the Monomachine not use the base MIDI channel and channel span settings when you switch the sequencer to “Int/Out”? When I have it set to “Out” it uses the base MIDI channel + span settings, but when I set it to “Int/Out” it will only put track 1 on MIDI channel 1, track 2 on MIDI channel 2, etc. I see no mention of this in the manual so it’s not clear if this is intentional or an oversight.

You have to define very carefully what you mean by “use” in your question. Use for what? Use for the internal tracks or the MIDI sequencer tracks?

You have to define very carefully what you mean by “use” in your question. Use for what? Use for the internal tracks or the MIDI sequencer tracks?[/quote]
Internal tracks (1-6) seem to start at the selected base MIDI channel when “Out” is chosen, but then switch to starting on MIDI channel 1 when “Int/Out” is chosen. (regardless of the base MIDI channel setting) It’s not clear why this would be desirable behavior. I can still get everything working regardless – it just seems odd and I couldn’t find any mention of it in the manual.

You have to define very carefully what you mean by “use” in your question. Use for what? Use for the internal tracks or the MIDI sequencer tracks?[/quote]
Internal tracks (1-6) seem to start at the selected base MIDI channel when “Out” is chosen, but then switch to starting on MIDI channel 1 when “Int/Out” is chosen. (regardless of the base MIDI channel setting)

…[/quote]

… and regardless of the MIDI SEQ channel settings?

Yes. It seems to just be the triggers that behave this way. It looks like the sequencer still uses the correct base MIDI channels when I play a sequence back.

I guess it doesn’t really matter, I don’t plan on using the Monomachine as a controller anyway.

Oops. This is when setting “Keyboard” to “Int/Out” vs “Out”. Sorry!

I heard back from Elektron Support and it sounds like this behavior is related to the SFX-6 and its built-in keyboard. Since all models of the Monomachine share the same OS, some compatibility choices across the different settings might seem odd on one model vs another.

It’s not really that big of a deal and I’ve totally derailed the original subject of the thread, so I’ll just be quiet now.

1 Like