Mini Midi Keyboard with pads for the OT mk2

I think for me its just a bit str5 5ange how the menu is structured and how many parameters in the whole settings menu affekt how a external device is feed with midi messages or how external midi data is interpreted. It runs however superb once it is setup correctly. I guess it’s more me who expEcted settings on different locations… :slight_smile:

What I am struggling with is that the external device seems to receive no proper note off signal when the OT runs a Arp. Even after stopping it didn’t receive anything…

Midi implementation is particular, for sure.

What is your external device ?
Does it interpret Notes On Velocity 0 as Notes Off ?
It is a standard, but some machines don’t accept it…

Elektron machines send Notes On Velocity 0 only.

The launchpad pro mk3 can do all the the things you want. MIDI din out and you could do keyboard control, mutes, anything really all on the same page. You have 8 total custom pages to play with:

(About 16:50 is what you want)

4 Likes

@sezare56 the external devices I mainly use are on the midi input side a two faderfix and the new Akai mini plus (great device so far:) thank you all for the tip!). And on the out side of the OT midi connection I run the midi into an expert sleepers FH-2 which send the whole midi stream via a trs into the midi in if a Shakmta Bard Quartet Expander. As the later one is very new I don not have any proper description how midi data are interpreted. On the fh-2 I didn’t have the issues. So I thought they interpretate the midi note off differently. This is why I want to test it. But I couldn’t figure out how to send a note off from the OT to a specific channel or change the behaviour of Note off messages.

@hermbot thanks for the tip. I tried it with a Launchpad Mk2 , but without much success. I got now a Akai mini plus, but I thought having a new small launchpad as well :). Anyone tried it with a Quneo pad?

With a computer or smartphone you should be able to install a midi monitor and check if the Mini Plus send Notes Off or Notes On Velocity 0.

If it sends Notes Off, check if it works with problematic gear and compare with OT.

@sezare56 thanks for the idea, i checked the midi messages and compared the reactions. I guess it really is the missing “80” Note Off message that confuses the other device. All other similar inputs with a proper note off work perfectly. Is there any way to send note off midi messages that are not only Note On with velocity 0 with the OT? Even when stopping the transport completly, there is no note off that stops the external device…

1 Like

Double stop should send a All Notes Off, and other machines should cut their notes…

Yes, with a midi processor, converting Notes On Vel 0 to Notes Off.
(Event Processor Plus can do it for sure, I’d check Blockas Midihub too). Midi processors can also allow polyphony , comb filters tuning with midi notes, velocity to Vol, etc…

Hi, … forgott to answer this.
Unfortunatly the double stop trick did not work. for whatevver reasons. Maybe it got stuck within the whole notes that haven’t stop. Luckly a firmware update of the quantizer helped to solve it.

How do you achieve polyphony with a midi processor?
i thought about using a midi processor to have something like the crossfader but just for midi cc values. Did you ever try this? Or does this cause too much simultatious midi data?