Minitaur vs subsequent 37 vs gm

Many synths can do this. Of the ones under discussion, the Subsequent 37 also has the option to reset the oscillator phase on each keystroke (Moog calls this “KB Reset”).

1 Like

Based on the logic that middle C is C4, the Sirn and Minitaur have note ranges between E0 to D8 and C-1 to C5, respectively.

1 Like

So the Sirin goes both lower and higher than the Minitaur?

I think the C-1 (its a -1) means the minitaur can go 16 semitones lower than the sirin (E0).

2 Likes

Ah thanks for clarifying. Didn’t notice the minus symbol. Was probably thinking about it as a hyphen

1 Like

Ah cool, when I was looking at these a while back I had the impression that the Minitaur was the only Moog with that option.

I know others outside of these have it, my Pro 2 is one for example.

You don’t have to have a Moog logo on your synth to get the Moog sound.
Studio Electronics SE-1X

1 Like

I haven’t stepped into the Eurorack realm as of yet. Good?

You could do a eurorack Minimoog Model D with AJH synth modules.

i guess i’ll address the elephant in the room and bring up the boog model d

i haven’t used one but it sounds like the real deal in all the videos

I’ve owned bith the minitaur and the GM, and I’ve used both extensively.

• The minitaur sounds amazing for bass, very sharp, very very deep. This is really room shaking bass, sometimes even too much. Controlling it from the unit is doable but frustrating for some functions which require weird button combinations. The vst control was great, but I don’t use that often. Sold it for the GM.

• The grandmother sounds even more amazing to me. Less sharp, slightly less deep, but still more punch and bass than you’ll ever need. It has more of a warm, dreamy sound which is great for leads as well as bass and fx. The controls make it very suitable for experimental sounds, but the lack of cc control make it more of an instrument than a studio tool.

I’d suggest the grandmother as the perfect mono synth to anyone!

5 Likes

Moogs I have;
Sub37, Matriarch and Sirin.

I also have a Boog Model D.

I kinda still want a Grandmother.

If I could only have one, as an all-rounder, I’d keep the Sub37.
Whilst I don’t think a Sub37 and Minitaur is overkill, I do think you’d be better getting ONE to start with and commit to learning/using that.
On that, I’d probably go for a Sub (37 or Phatty) or a Grandmother. Then see what you feel you need from there.

The Boog Model D sounds good, but I’m never satisfied with it because it’s an imposter/rip off, and I just don’t get the feel good factor the Moogs give me. Which stands for a lot IMO.

3 Likes

I own or have owned all three.

My vote is definitely for the Subsequent 37. It’s a beautiful, versatile synth that rewards subtle work, will teach you everything there is to learn about synthesis, is an absolute joy to play and to tweak while playing, and despite the size and awkward form factor is the only synth I’ve ever sold, regretted, and re-bought. It can do plenty of excellent bass, it’s super fun to jam out on freestyle leads and nasty bass riffs too, and the presets make it far more versatile than the Grandmother. The Grandmother has a slightly smoother, sweeter overall sound, a little rounder and richer, but the need for patch cables and the pain in the butt it is to get back to any great sounds you had going (if you can even remember them) put me off it. I also find it’s a lot less fun to play - something about the mostly-empty-space body and rather cheap feeling overall compared to the solid, substantial Subsequent 37 really lost the sense that I could treat it as a proper instrument - it always felt like it needed more delicate handling. Then I learned that I could get the subtlety I was looking for out of the Subsequent 37 with a little care and by paying a bit more attention, and now it’s an intuitive free-flowing fount of fantasticly rich and rewarding sonic bliss. It also pairs exceptionally well with a little delay, chorus, or reverb, depending on what you’re looking for. That said, it can get rough and dirty very easily and likes to sound like an annoyed donkey as often as not, so expect to spend some time with it learning to get what you want out of it. It’s not all sweet spot by any means, but like the aforementioned donkey, it’s really extremely useful once you sort out who’s boss.

The other Phattys are great too, though.

The Minitaur is a perfectly competent bass and lower-midrange (bassoon, cello-ish) synth, but the combos and hidden features kept annoying me and it is a LOT harder to get to the sweet spots, especially tweaking it live - its a little rougher and requires more careful balancing of several controls at a time - which is fine, but it makes it harder to fit into a mix or play live. That said, it’s not a bad first Moog, though I think it’ll disappoint as often as it pleases and it’s not as easy to explore the finer points of the art of synthesis on.

But of the three, the Subsequent 37 is the one that puts a big ol’ grin on my face by far the most often.

4 Likes

Never tried the slim phatty! Sub 37, grandmother, matriarch, I love them all. But I’m really curious about the slim phatty now! Is 500 a good price for one?

2 Likes

True … my workaround is to use the MIDI implementation chart, pick me some of the most wanted CCs and use this with a sequencer supporting MIDI CC recording/playback like MPC, Pyramid, OXI One, and the Elektrons of course :wink:

1 Like

These days? Yes.

Slim Phatty (another Moog I am partial to) is a very nice synth. It pairs well with the Sub and Little Phatty series, being basically a Little Phatty in a rack enclosure.

However, note that it is NOT a one-knob-per function synth, and as a result it is not as playable or immediate as the Subsequent 37. It also lacks an LFO and there are a LOT of modulation routing options buried very deep in a rather annoying menu. There is no VST or UI editor for the SP like there is for the Minitaur or Subsequent 37. Overall it’s a nice step up from the Minitaur but it shares the same frustrations of the UI (and adds some more) - though it is a lot more capable and sounds really good for what it is. It’s its own thing, though, and I wouldn’t suggest it as a first Moog, just as I don’t recommend a Minitaur as a first Moog.

I still very much recommend a Sub37 or Subsequent 37 (both are nice, and if you can get a good deal on a used Sub versus a Subsequent you won’t really ‘miss’ the differences for the price - the Sub is a beautiful instrument in its own right), or, with the caveats already discussed, a Grandmother.

Yep, despite its gorgeous Sound, those were my thoughts when I had one.

This is the thing if bass is your primary concern. Some other Moogs have the capability but none are voiced for low end like the Minitaur. It’s a bass beast.

Something like the GM is way more versatile but still “vintage” sounding, and the Sub37 can obviously do even more besides, and has a decidedly more “modern” sound. And all can make killer bass patches, but IMO the Minitaur can make the lowest bass.

I find myself strangely liking synths that aren’t knob per function. I’m not sure why, but I think it forces me to slow down and consider my choices more instead of impulsively grabbing knobs and changing things a lot cause I have synth ADHD.