Mixers 2020

I never said anything re: live in that reply. And have always promoted a mixer for live.

But that wasn’t what I was debating.
It was ease of sound. The switch is not a good argument :+1:t6:

I’m extremely tired and suffering corona confinement derangement. I apologize

(Not sick, just going bonkers…touchy)

1 Like

I’m not really arguing whether a mixer is ‘better.’ I’m asking people who like using them which ones they like most and why

For live - Boss BX’s coz their preamps have really nice saturation, and the summing somehow sounds right - and they’re small.

For mixdowns, my mate’s 1970’s Cadac!

1 Like

Is there a modern equivalent to the Boss mixers? (Multiple stereo channels with faders).

The tascam model series is the only thing I can find with multiple USB I/o
More as in 2+ like the 24 has 22 ins over USB meaning I can apply diffrent daw effects to different channels. Are there other mixers like this?

1 Like

The Zoom LiveTrak series.

2 Likes

Soundcraft mtk do have all channel in or out via usb.

3 Likes

The PreSonus StudioLive mixers do too.

It would be nice to see a feature comparison chart of these all.
Most that i see has more input than output channels as you might expect.

1 Like

… which is very useful and attractive option, with a low cost, and often gets overlooked.

2 Likes

your conversion already outclasses what actual “pros” use, so what exactly is a “pro” level mixer supposed to be to you? transparent?

1 Like

Patchbay :+1:t6: :+1:t6: :+1:t6:

Love it

6 Likes

I work exactly same way- mackie vlz204, machines and laptop.

I no longer compose with a laptop.

Just recording, effect and post production

1 Like

Or colored in a way you might like :slight_smile:
I’ve been wanted to do analog summing as well, which can be beneficial. Of course that also begs the question of a dedicated summing box. Mostly, I think having a nice mixer to route all my bleep bloopers into could be very nice

1 Like

I personally enjoy having a pretty neutral sounding mixer, and adding colour simply by routing signals through auxiliary gear.

I actually skipped over pretty much every prosumer-grade mixer out there and went straight to a console. It was still really cheap, but when you have a monitor controller and patchbay integrated, the workflow is simply completely different.

At the end of the day, with my new experiences from getting my own mixer, I don’t think I will ever go back to worrying about having tons of channels of the best conversion again

If you don’t have a patch bay I actually recommend you start with this first, then acquire a mixer.

To give you a specific mixer recommendation, I think a Midas Venice 240 is a safe bet. It not only has a great reputation, but it is especially revered by people who enjoy using a lot of synths and drum machines.

4 Likes

oh yeah i saw that as well!

What console do you have?

Love my Presonus studiolive 32sc

3 Likes

neotek essence!

1 Like

That was a cool looking mixer. Is it an in-line mixer? There is very few real studio consoles for sale here in Norway, but I’m always looking out for a good deal. But I’m really happy with my Ghost. Even if it’s more of a prosumer mixer.