MnM vs A4

Just got my MnM 2 days ago.
For what its worth I think I looked at most of the videos for MnM and A4 and decided I liked the sound of the MnM more. Besides I have a tetra and Minibrute and will be getting a minitaur later this yea, but might rethink that as the bass I got from the MnM was really impressive. Besides from that I am a bit underwhelmed though by the synthesis page available. Hopefully as II explore it more that will change.
Having issues coming to grips with the sequencer atm =(

I totally agree…I got mine and even tho the Sounds are not the best, it’s interesting enough to Keep because of it’s creativity and what you can get out of it…it’s like a Treasure Map,you may end up where the X is but you still have to Dig to get the Gold…and even then there’s more hidden underneath the Surface…Check out the Photo i uploaded…this is one of my Favorite screens to really get a creative…Just about any sound can come out of this screen…there’s no way i’m selling mine…i sold my A4…but i will get another one used in the Future…in the mean time i’m really enjoying the MnM with no regrets…

i copied that page … seems to me like there are only synth sounds coming out …

was hoping to make a basedrum, and glitchy things also :imp:

My experience is that the mnm isnt tight enough for good percussive sounds. You will get a small variation each time the sound is trigged. Its not because of freerunning oscs, but i think it is some randomness to the trigging of the different lfo’s. (i tried using the lfo’s as envs for perc sounds).

For glitchyness use the DDRAW machine. use a triggered lfo to change waveform. No smoothing on the waveform change. Play around with the lfo’s to get some nice glitchy sounds. Then filter to taste. :slight_smile:

hi thomaso, just played around with the ddraw machine … no luck so far … i guess i need more than 5 days to get into the machine :wink:

cheers

And i guess glitchy isnt a set term either. hehe. I havent turned my mnm on in a year or so, but if i remember correctly, using a synced square valve set to one shot, and wave 1 on the osc. and if you play around with the speed you can get some nice hard abrupt changes. Remember to change the balance to just the one osc, so the other doesnt play.

Or use two lfo’s in random and different speeds to change both osc 1 and 2’s wave. set the lfo to hold, so it changes to a value and holds it. Then you will have a different wave from both oscs each time you trig the sound.

Another tip for some fast trigging notes is to use the ARP. Set it to SID mode, remove all the green lights but the first two. hold the second one and press down on the keys so it will play one seminote down. Set the speed so its synced, but faster than 16th notes. Then when you press both C and C# you will get a fast repeating C.
Combined with the lfo trick above, it should sound glitchy! Or broken. Or just pure awesome!

I think i have to turn on my Mnm tonight.

thanks for that little tutorial, followed it to the best of my abilities and understanding, but didnt work :frowning:
synced sqare valve … couldnt find that. wave 1 on the OSC, which osc? change balance? hmmm, only left speaker?
also did the arp thing with only 2 green lights on, but no good results … still thanks for your post !

It was more of a rambling than a tutorial.

Are you using the digipro-doubledraw machine? If i get the time later this week, i can see if i can make a crappy video for you. I dont have any posibility of recording sounds, but i should be able to show you what i try to explain. :slight_smile:

dpro ddrw works really well! also with the arp to only 3 green lights!

What i ment was use square wave lfo’s. Set triggermode to one shot. so you get to different values.