Modal Argon8 – 8 voice polyphonic wavetable synthesiser

One great thing about the Argon8M and Argon8X announcement is that it shows Modal is very committed to the synth architecture. That makes me happy, and given the choice of all 3 I’d want the 37 key version (which is what I have)

2 Likes

Well it arrived today, and I’m instantly in love. Definitely a keeper. I can’t wait to find some time to mess around with programing.

Edit: until I just saw the announcement…wtf. This always seems to happen to me straight after a purchase…

1 Like

It’s really easy to program, I find; I’m not a novice programmer, but I’m not so experienced that I take it for granted, either, and I had some concerns about all of the shift functions. But the advantage there is that there is very little menu-diving for such a robust engine.

(Even without the app, although from what everyone has said, the app is excellent).

Re: Edit: Yeah. I’m still processing that and trying to determine whether the 3-octave or 5-octave is better for me. (I love the keybed and plan to use it as a controller for other things, so the module, while appealing on “I have too much stuff taking up too much space” levels, is not for me.)

1 Like

Yeah, I actually wanted a desktop module version, as I have plenty of keyboards already, but given they’ve slimmed down the control section of it, I think I’m actually happy with the 3 octave, although at only $70 more, I would have probably got the 5 octave for the hell of it had they all been available last week when I ordered.

2 Likes

Does anyone know when the VST/AU support is coming?

how would the Argon8 compare with the wavetable oscillators on the Virus TI

1 Like

When Modal wrote me, they said “in the coming weeks” so hopefully that means less than 52 weeks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Virus’ wavetables are super basic. Its more just a bank of other waves than something scannable

The TI has both 64 static waves and 200 scannable ones.

2 Likes

How are the keys on the Argon8 ? I’m considering the 61-keys version to use as both a synth and controller so it’s a big selling point for me.

The first one was a semi-weighted 37-key FATAR keybed. I imagine the 61 will be too – has anyone seen this reported directly.

ADDED: In the original notice from Modal:
An elongated 61 key version using the same FATAR TP/9S mechanism

So that’s good quality stuff.

1 Like

In short, really nice

2 Likes

This seems like a nice synth but I find it a little strange that it’s just 8 voices when the Waldorf xt was 10 with an option for 30 and we’ve come a long way in Embedded computing since then…although I guess if it’s not multi-timbral then it’s probs not a big deal

maybe wavetable scanning, fx, smoother controls… my lead 2x sounds great ( never buy synth that isn’t ! :slight_smile: , but its filter is stepy like all other controls too, and this synth is probably more demanding. And sounds great :wink:

Looking at it with your point in mind about the envelope selectors missing, I wonder if the encoders are push encoders. Looks like they might have done something similar for the OSC tune knob? That would actually make more sense than having the separate buttons/knobs. There’s been a few times using mine where I wished they’d used push encoders in a few more places.

I wish we could remap knobs - for example, I find the two OSC tune knobs a bit of a waste, would be good if they could have a shift function to tune, and Wav mod 1 & 2 as default.

If the module comes out before my 30 day return window is up, I might be very tempted to swap mine out for one.

1 Like

I was wondering if any of you had had bugs/freezes ? I’ve had a bunch of freezes (6 or 7 times ) when I let the synth turned on during a long periode without touching it. The screen saver animation freezes and the synth is unusable unless I reboot it.

Will adress the issue to Modal with a bunch of feature request at some point.

I’ve left mine on continuously since it arrived and have not seen this issue at all.

How good is your mains power Kinan? Don’t know but sometimes power glitches, even so short that you wouldn’t be aware of them, can cause these sorts of issues, particularly with an under-performing power supply. Just a guess.

Mine has not locked up when left on. Agree with Jukka to first try routing your power differently.
I have a surge suppressor power strip, and that’s all I’m using (nothing fancy).

poly-chaining confirmed coming soon. @ 7:20

said you can max it out at 16 voices with another Argon.

2 Likes