Moog Matriarch

I’m playing it every day at the store now. It’s beautiful. Recording sessions into the Blackbox to see what comes out of it.

3 Likes

A friend had this once with his Little Phatty. Its def. a calibration issue. Get in contact with Moog Support. They can help to fix it.

Can the delay bleed also be a calibration issue? Or is it just applicable to the tuning problem?

I would assume that it could also be related to pot scanning calibration. If the lowest value that your pot reaches is higher than the digitally controlled VCA then it wouldn’t close completely. This is assuming that there is a digitally controlled VCA Controlling the delay mix. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely. Delay mix or level could be out-of-calibration.

2 Likes

I got to speak with someone at Moog this afternoon and they sent me the pot calibration SysEx to try. I am going to try to document my issues and then see if these things work in fixing them.

I did successfully get my base tuning closer to perfect by following the oscillator tuning instructions for the Grandmother.

4 Likes

Okay, that’s nice! I hope that the sysex will fix your problems that you have with it! Let us know how it develops.

You’ll be pleased to know that I only had to do the calibration once when I got the Grandmother, and it has stayed calibrated since, nearly 1-and-a-1/2 years later.

3 Likes

So here’s my first go at the Moog Matriach, recorded from a series of live sessions while I played it in the music store. All harmonics are the Moog, all drums are from the MFB Tanzmaus:

8 Likes

And another one, also Tanzmaus on drums and recorded in the store into a Blackbox. I’m using the paraphonic mode here for all the layers, one of them to create variations within a single note arp and one for proper chords. There’s some polyrythmic stuff going on here as well (or polymetric? the one where the BPM’s are all over the place). This one was harder, couldn’t do much automation here so all sections are live takes, except for the drums.

4 Likes

Nice! Makes me want a Tanzmaus…

Ordered the Matriarch again, after canceleing it…the major bugs seem to be fixed.

2 Likes

Thanks :blush: yeah, MFB makes my favourite drums. They’re just one big sweet spot.

2 Likes

Just wanted to chime in that my Matriarch arrived and has zero issues that I can find so far. Oh, and that it’s a spectacular beautiful monster.

9 Likes

If I don’t much care for the Matriarch’s flexibility in a larger modular rig, and don’t think the paraphonic mode is the synth’s best features, and don’t use the delay - how does the Grandmother stack up against the Matriarch? I’m loving how it sounds but so far, it’s the monophonic sequences I’ve recorded that I’m actually using.

Did we have this one already?

1 Like

Or this?

1 Like

Reporting back that after the firmware update the calibration and the self tuning it came out perfect. It even mostly fixed the delay mix issue even though that pot isn’t listed as one that will get calibrated.

Unfortunately the Matriarch is on its way back to Sweetwater as at the end of the day, I didn’t fall in love with its sound. It wasn’t “Moog-y” enough for me-I much prefer my Sub 37. The oscillators on the Mother 32 sounded better to me. To each their own. The synth otherwise was a beautiful instrument! If you’re in the market call your Sweetwater rep for a BNIB looking demo model soon!

2 Likes

Do you have to pay a restocking fee when you do this? Do you have to pay for the shipping back to Sweetwater? Wondering how this works.

Never had to in the past and given how they are not price competitive overall because of their “excellent support” and “free 2-year warranty” they had better not!

So you can just try gear out for free and Sweetwater eats all the associated costs, and they sell the gear as open-box and lose money on it there too? Wild.