Moog Sirin

Digitone, sounds so good with the clean digital FM sound.

2 Likes

Follow-up to brief Techno discussion with @Tchu:

Came across this great video today, with Digitone, Sirin (and Peak)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLoM1FwtCq0

Hi Sirin (and OT) Users!

I am having a weird issue with my Sirin and wanted to ask if any of you experienced the same:
When sending PC messages to Sirin, sometimes the patch is not loaded correctly, e.g. the filter is open instead of closed. When looking for reasons I found out the following:

• Sending PC messages from DT or OT to Sirin through 5 pin midi is unreliable (approx. one out of ten program changes end up incorrect)
  • Sending PC messages from DT to Sirin via USB midi (through a Bome Box) is reliable
  • Sending PC messages from OT with 5 pin midi to the Bome Box, and from there to Sirin via USB is unreliable as well (that is the weirdest)

When I triple press the stop Button on DT or OT the PC loads correct.

Had someone the same experience, at least the ā€žbasicā€œ one over 5 pin midi, which I guess is still the standard use case?

Thought at first it might be the pots in ā€žjumpā€œ mode slightly move and change up the preset, but it also happens in ā€žcatchā€œ modeā€¦

Thanks & cheers,
Chris

(Funny thing is I got the Sirin in the first place to replace an unreliable MFB Dominion Club in my live rig. Since the last update, the Dominion Club is back in place because it is actually more reliable than the Sirin. And I donā€˜t think Sirin will ever get a FW update, contacted Moog support twice, never got an answer.)

1 Like

just want to thank you for that again. i lost my sirin switch somehow moving flats and re-doing my whole studio, but now iā€™m borrowing a friendā€™s minitaur and need it again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m grappling with this now. Iā€™m working on one project with a few patterns, where my Digitakt sends various program changes to the Sirin, but the Sirin is unreliable. Iā€™m using a 5 pin midi cable. I recently ordered a usb b to usb b cable to see if that will help make the Sirin respond to ALL program changes.

At the moment my workflow is getting sidetracked as I troubleshoot these issues, but Iā€™m hoping for a smoother experience once this cable arrives.

A bit same with DT, DN and DSI Tetra. Canā€™t tell whatā€™s exactly happening but itā€™s quite unreliable. Also wondering whatā€™s the reason.

Hey guys

Sorry to bring the bad news Roman, but I donā€™t expect a direct USB connection to work. Youā€™ll need a USB host in between. This can be a PC, a Kenton MIDI USB host or a BOME Box. Not sure if you can use a Kenton to send and receive trough USB though. I currently use a BOME Box a s the ā€œMIDI heartā€ in my setup and it is working fine. Devices needing DIN MIDI are connected through a ESI MidiMate eX, like the OT. The BOME Box can do a lot more which is handy.

@Tajnost: I canā€™t say for sure but I suspect the following reasons:

• The devices firmware is developed & tested via a computer, most certainly connected through USB. I donā€™t think the make the effort to test it through the DIN port as well
  • Desktop units seem to be mostly used as DAW extension in a home studio, where they are A) connected via USB and/or B) reliability is not an issue

It is hard to find people discussing the reliability of new equipment, as most donā€™t use it in a live setup I guess. But still, it is disappointing coming from Moog, as Hard- and Software are quite certainly derived from the Minitaur Iā€™d expect it to have the same issues (but I donā€™t know).

2 Likes

Thank you for comment!

Yes. And as it always were with live sets we have to find and work out the way to use what we want with all its bugs and aspects.

Like for example in this case save presets in a row for each ā€œtrackā€ and load them manually. Or sample it, or else.

Doing it live since 20+ years, nothing ever was simple and problem free, some tricks always needed to get solid live performance.

Dream of ā€œall in oneā€ machine with good control, top analog + digital engines, efx, mixer and all the features I want which will compact enough and rock solid on stage: )

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Yes, major fail on that cable, lesson learned. Still the bome box seems overkill for my needs, and a bit pricy for my minimal setup. Iā€™m afraid of embarking on an expensive trial and error phase.

Just a quick update on my end. I recently acquired the Blokas Midihub and the Sirin now accepts program changes without issues. The Midihub has many cool features which I look forward to learning/ applying (i.e. arpeggiator, midi delay, randomizer etc). Overall I am very pleased.

4 Likes