MPE Synth/Controller options

I guess I would say there are surprisingly very few options for a technology that is practically bursting with potential. It seems that most of us here in this forum are here in large measure because we far prefer the immediacy of tweaking our sounds with knobs, buttons, wheels and sliders, rather than mouse clicks or touching a screen. Having had the Seaboard block for a while (until it died), I was so pleased with its immersiveness and immediacy, and was very surprised this wasn’t far more popular. Then again, Roli had terrible support and may come back to life, or not, with their purchase by another company.

I looked at the Osmose. Cool, for sure. but it is still a standard piano keyboard with more flexibility (which is great, but not that new). I am hoping the Linnstrument will not only offer me more expressiveness, but actually a completely new way of accessing, sculpting and recording the sounds I want to make. Piano keyboards are great for really only a very small fraction of the kinds of sounds we play with (like the enormous variety of sounds we use with the Hydrasynth). So, having an MPC for drums and looping is really good. Having an immediate 16 note pattern sequencer on the A4 is great. I hope having the Linnstrument will add another way to approach sound altogether. And yes, the Continuum looks fantastic, but I don’t have that kind of money.

Added the Joyst JV-1 to the list.

I think including poly-aftertouch keyboards (only) as MPE is a bit ‘confusing’ :wink:

even if they are sending as MPE (so as channel pressure on separate channels), its only giving you ONE axis , of the three (x/y/z) you’d expect… I think x/pitch is a pretty important axis alongside pressure/z.

I think I’d separate out controllers/synths into those with full 3 axis mpe, and with limited to just one axis ( as there are quite a bunch that just give poly pressure. e.g grids like push 2)

not really sure it matters that much difference between poly pressure and using MPE.
(except there are some synth engines that might only support one or other… but many support both)

have to say though, its fantastic to see the choice we have available today…
a few years back we only had a handful of instruments.

edit:
and to add to your list …

Striso :slight_smile:
https://www.striso.org

oh, and you’re also missing one of the earliest…
Eigenharps from Eigenlabs… Pico, Tau and Alpha

oh, and Snyderphonics Manta Controller…

(I think some other early ones too… but these are the ones that spring to mind)

1 Like

The brand new firmware with the QuNexus, with a three lane sequencer with MPE on one track of the sequencer, plus adding an arpeggiator and improvements to MIDI out, really makes the QuNexus an interesting option. See this thread.

Also apparently ( ? ) they have an improved action with the keys in new hardware.

2 Likes

There is another thing to consider around the adoption of MPE by both controller and synth makers. That is having MIDI 2.0 bypass MPE.

MIDI 2.0 will have “per-note expression” ( as per the spec ) that will act in ways similar to MPE, except it will allow for higher resolution, and allows the data to remain within a single channel. The negotiation process will also help match capabilities between the sender and receiver of this data. There are other advantages that are just part of the MIDI 2.0 implementation.

Why would a manufacturer make the expenditure on the development of MPE hardware, when they know it is only be for the interim, especially when they have products in development that will soon be supporting MIDI 2.0 ?

In particular i am aware that these three – Native Instruments, Roland, and Yamaha have been actively involved with the development of the MIDI 2.0 standard. You can be sure that companies like Arturia, Novation, and AKAI are all closely examining this new marketplace as well. Development of a full range of MIDI 2.0 products will certainly take time, and it is hard to know how this development will proceed.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

As a part of my research to put together the MPE controller list, i ran across some indications on attitudes toward MPE and MIDI 2.0.

One maker of an advanced controller is Lumatone who does not support MPE. They are very clear in their FAQ regarding their intentions regarding MPE and MIDI 2.0.

What Lumatone has to say about MPE and MIDI 2.0 :

Does it have MPE support?

Lumatone is capable of full polyphonic aftertouch through the standard MIDI specification. Unlike other multi-dimensional controllers, we currently see no need for MPE. Lumatone isn’t about sliding up and down in different dimensions on a touch surface, which in our minds is the kind of instrument that MPE was designed for. If any of you can think of specific applications for MPE on a Lumatone, please do email us and share your ideas, and we’ll consider.

We instead are focusing all of our efforts on MIDI 2.0, which Lumatone is fully compliant with. Oh hey, speaking of which….read on….

Is it MIDI 2.0 ready?

YES. Lumatone is 100% compatible and the hardware is fully ready for MIDI 2.0. We are currently discussing a great deal with those responsible for the MIDI 2.0 specification and are truly excited about what MIDI 2.0 will bring to Lumatone. The specification will allow for microtonality directly, as well as several other exciting expressive functionalities.

Expressive E on the other hand will support both MPE and Polyphonic-aftertouch with the Osmose, is much more cautious regarding MIDI 2.0, This is from their FAQ.

What Expressive E has to say about MPE and MIDI 2.0 :

Will Osmose support MIDI 2.0 ?

Generally, Osmose’s firmware system allows for easily upgrading the communication protocols. This includes the possibility to support MIDI 2.0 if we see that it is advantageous for our customers, once there is enough other MIDI 2.0 gear on the market.

That being said, for the first firmware releases it is vital for us to establish comprehensive MPE controller functionality on our side, and collaborate with 3rd party developers to implement MPE/Osmose support and smooth Osmose mapping workflows into their respective software. We will prioritize this task over MIDI 2.0 support.

1 Like

In Midi 2.0, does “per-note expression” include x-y-z expression data, as well as velocity, aftertouch and lift?

That is implementation dependent isn’t it.

As far as what is permitted, i believe it permits more dimensions. Anyone else here know for sure ?

I have been doing some research, and have become dubious on the Microfreak really being an MPE controller. There is no mention in the manual, and very little credible information on-line.

Yes it does have poly-aftertouch.

Can anyone give a reference that absolutely confirms that the Microfreak is a true MPE controller.

( There is a 3rd party video of using the Microfreak with Live 11, but i watched it, and it’s not confirmation. )

ADDED : A week later. Hearing no objections. MicroFreak has now been removed from the list, though still gets mentioned in Edits & Credits section.

1 Like

IMO some devs are making sure MPE and poly-aftertouch synths “just work” with their software which is great for end users but clouds the issue.

I don’t think the Microfreak is “true” MPE (i.e. to spec). I base that conclusion on experience, but not rigorous testing. These days, if it works, I use it; if it doesn’t, I move on.

1 Like

It appears to have been moved here
https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support/support-linnstrument-recommended-sounds

It took me only a few seconds to browse the site and find this link. Not hard to find at all.

Happy 2022 to you too

1 Like

Found this via a link on Synth Anatomy’s best experimental synths article (may start another thread for that).

Rebel Technology Witch

Sounds pretty good to me, and expressive when controlled by Linnstrument, though the latter may have more to do with Quincas’ skill as a player

2 Likes

Was just about to put that up either here or in Mysterious Instruments thread. Saw it in the same place.

Another thing neat about this is it being both open source with libraries, with multiple sound engine options AND supporting MPE.

That allows someone who can change some software around to create something new and experimental.

It’s also fairly inexpensive.

1 Like

Just saw this one.

1 Like

Holy crap, I didn’t know about this! Thanks immensely!

1 Like

The dam is breaking.

Fatar has a new poly-aftertouch keybed version of the TP8 !

It is being used in the new Iridium Keyboard for instance.

That together with Medeli / ASM making their PolyTouch keybed for more than one synth maker, means we should expect to see a lot more poly-aftertouch conventional style MPE enabled keyboards coming.

Oh yeah those and Osmose and ?? ROLI ??.

1 Like

Ok. so today I was more concentrated on the playing aspect of the Kboard Pro 4 and first i have to say that Animoog Z in MPE mode is the absolute killer software Synthesizer aswell as the Samurai and AuV3 App purchase of Koala! TIMESTRETCH

but, with the A4 MK2 it’s just heaven of modulation when all the Sensors are set to midi CC and corresponding Performance Macros. basically the same or better said, build on the structure of breath and mod control…one source modulation and 5 different destinations (incl. track separation and bipolar attenuation) GReAT

so the kboard acts as a direct expressive MPE source for up to 8x5 Performance Macros which also can be combined (a hint to unexperienced YT reviews) (hold qperf Button and different trigs (1-10) together) this can’t get more expressive! it’s like MPE with full control of every single movement and in every manner DEEP.

it has a learning curve but once familiar with KMI and their software it’s still the deepest expression, the weight and full aluminum body (black part is no plastic, it’s coated) is no exception!

highly recommended :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Some lucky bugger just bagged a kboard pro 4 flight case and midi extender for 290 including postage, I wanted to bid on it but just can’t bring myself to make any rash purchases in the current economic climate here in the UK…

In IOS-land, Xequence 2 has been updated with MPE

I got a notification from you for this thread, but I don’t understand why.

KMI has a new MPE controller. It looks like a simplified QuNexus, with a reduced price.

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-board/

I added it to the controller master list.

1 Like