Multi Instrumentalists blow my mind

Seeing skilled multi-instrumentalists did make me feel inadequate up to my college years.

Over time I cared less and less, as I started to realize that I’m not competing with them for anything. Jacob Collier (notorious multi-instrumentalist) is not coming here to take my job away from me, any more than I would try to take Collier’s spot at any of the high profile festivals he’s scheduled to play this year.

Unless you’re missing most of your fingers or have some other medical condition, it should not be too late in life for you to learn how to play keyboard or drums if those are your desires. It’s just a matter of figuring out how to work those activities into your schedule.

3 Likes

Even then, Django Reinhardt, Tony Iommi, Dr John, Paul Wittgenstein…

I was just trying to guess what excuse OP has for not learning to play keys or drums.

I could be way off the mark.

Also, I was not being that serious

1 Like

Time. Lack of it.

1 Like

Blind guess: if we all replace half of screen time by any practice, we’ll soon all become proficient :grin:

1 Like

There are some things you just don’t say no matter how true they may be.

I think it’s even more interesting that no matter how much you suck at any kind of music/musicianship there are people somewhere who will like it.

2 Likes

Lol. Also yes to the less screen time thing, but it’s more complicated than that.

Cutting screen time definitely contributed to my progress on guitar, keys, learning to use the M8, MC-707, etc.

Also, leaving a job that had me working 70 hour weeks - that was a huge, huge help.

Oh, and controlling GAS - every time I buy a drum machine/synth/groovebox/etc I end up spending time learning how to do stuff on it that could have gone to practicing guitar/keys/violin.