NDLR - A Multi-Part Polyphonic Arpeggiator by Steven Barile

Great trick!

1 Like

I actually donā€™t think itā€™s that expensive! Seems pretty cheap to me!

I guess the price is quite allright?
Am getting closer to buying/trying one.

And I looked at the MRCC, damn! That will make a really nice companion to the NDLR,
so you can change on the fly which synth plays the drone, pad, motifsā€¦

Anything else able to do that?
Iā€™m fairly new to MIDI, coming more from ā€œtraditionalā€ instruments or ITB DAW trickeryā€¦

The NDLR is a perfect change of pace after three months of work grind. You just plug it into four synths and go. Took me longer to set up the synths than to write and perform this, which is so refreshing. I wouldnā€™t use the NDLR on everything, but as a palate cleanser, itā€™s really hard to beat.

12 Likes

:smiley:

Your videos tipped me over the edge. I have one on the way.

2 Likes

You will not regret it :slight_smile:
Bought a second hand one and thinking of getting a second one :slight_smile: Although Poly Chain (for pads) is available, I would love another one :slight_smile:
Works brilliantly with hardware and VSTi.
Have had mine for 2 months and it is ON everyday.
I have tried to find a software version but the only one I came across and that is actually closer to NDLR than any other is Scaler. Version 2.2 adds a lot by the way.
Enjoy your future noodling :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I finally got it connected with the Rev2, Hydra, and AFX Station. I created a huge drone on the Hydra that I could sweep around with, some plucked sounds on the Rev2, etc. Itā€™s really quite fun. I need to get used to the menus a little more, but itā€™s pretty easy to get around on.

I could see using it to automate some pads in some dub techno or the like.

I need to move the Hydra or Rev2 to the pad machine, and give that a try.

2 Likes

You can achieve that within the NDLR Settings, no need to change the MIDI Channel of your devices. In case you didnā€™t know.

2 Likes

Yep, found it. Also got some drums synced up now as well.

2 Likes

I tried to use Scaler that way yesterday ā€¦ but I dont understand any of the concepts of that appā€¦ where there is nothing you can do wrong with NDLR.

Hahaha!!!
Thatā€™s true enough.
Scaler has gone to 2.2 and it is a totally different (same base) beast now.

how can you connect 4 synths? it only has 2 midi out ports?

very nice!
pushes the NDLR higher up on The List for sure

1 Like

Iā€™ve just explained that for you in the other threadšŸ‘

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/midi-clock-out-set-up/29559/17

1 Like

thank you but not really, how to sequence 4 different synths with 1 NDLR is a different story right? (only 2 midi outs)?

Each Part will be on a different MIDI Channel.

2 Likes

Assuming it can support multiple sequences across different channels youā€™d just daisy chain as in the example given over there. Set each synth to a different channel and match up with your sequences

Adapting the set up to replace the AR with the NDLR at the top of the chain would get you there. :+1:

3 Likes

Itā€™s easily done by using MIDI Thru if a synth in the chain has one, if not, a midi splitter can be used and then set the 4 different elements (Motif 1 & 2, Drone and Pad) to separate, corresponding synth midi channels. Iā€™ve had 7 or 8 bits of gear all being triggered by the NDLR and it works a treat.

2 Likes

I use a Kenton MIDI Thru, but any MIDI Thru device will work. You can also use the Thru port on any device that has it. Best of luck!

3 Likes

I tried having the NDLR send all MIDI tracks (for Drone/Pad/Motif 1 and 2) over to the DSI Tetr4ā€¦

Oh boy, does that thing make it singā€¦

very impressed by the possibilities of the NDLR when stuck in neutral while composing or simply just noodling on a lazy sunday afternoonā€¦

Gone is the Kordbot, very glad I made the switch over the holidays while the NDLR was on saleā€¦

:japanese_ogre: :robot: :space_invader:

3 Likes