New, knobby SID synth

Sounds like the same problems I’ve been dealing with in the hardware realm although I’ve tried using a sequentix sequencer, MPC, DSI evolver sequencer and not the OT. Since this is my main workflow I’m a little discouraged.
In Live, Logic, or PT it seems to work ok. As for the ipad app, I run it via wifi into my DAW so I can merge it with a synth to trigger notes. The merged signal goes out to the therapsid via my usb-midi interface. Not exactly ideal as I’d like to be able to connect the ipad directly via CCK or other means and fully control it without a computer involved.

Got mine and testing this weekend also showed it had the VCA issues. So waiting for the capacitor to fix now.

Looks and sounds very promising though.

Has anyone had success with this VCA fix?

Or had any response from Alex? I’ve emailed asking for him post me the required capacitor , but not heard anything back.

Also did anyone have problems with that US plug converter that was included? Mine doesn’t work.

Hey

According to the manual all units shipped after 10/20 should have the fix. It’s outlined in the new manual on P.26. Basically a 1nF (.001uF) cap soldered across pins 6 and 7 of the SID.

Even if you have the VCA fix there is still a lot of VCA bleed that is just inherent in these chips. I opted to buy a noise gate which fixes this nicely.

I’m in the US so I didn’t need the adapter.

I soldered on the VCA fix and it did not do anything…The notes are still sticking. I have contacted Twisted-Electrons today and will let you all know what I hear.

I got Alex to send me a new chip with the soldered cap added, I sent him back my old SID chip. Seems to have fixed the issue, but yes, the chip is noisy. I have mine running into the OT with its noise gate set to around -45db.

I still can’t play mine via the OT (or any other Elektron gear) which is pretty annoying as it doesn’t fit into my studio as neatly as I’d hoped. Alex says this is a simple fix in software so waiting on that.

What else, it’s not great at keeping time with a midi signal. A 16th note pattern is all over the place. Again, Alex says this will be fixed with a software update. Just waiting on when.

The USA adapter is pretty rubbish, I have two of them and they both don’t work (or do but need to be partly pulled out of the socket to work). Fortunately I had another decent multi plug to hand so am using that for now.

But when it gets going it sounds great. Some of the pattern based sequence presets sound lovely. Can’t wait to hook this up to the OT to sync and sample.

EX/

Mine tSID was sent back and repaired by Alex although I had the cap fix already in place.
Now I’m able to play it properly but so far only through cheap USB<>MIDI interface. Direct connection to MIDI keyboard (Kawai K5000) or Octatrack results in randomly stuck notes and generally weird behavior. Gotta do some more testing also with other gear. I’ll try to measure any possible current differences between those connections.

Edit: Yes, I also experience VCA bleed but that’s easily solved by mixer noise gate. Actually it is nice on certain sounds to leave a bit of a noise tail in place. Adds some nice grungy character.

I’ve been lucky since I first got my unit and it’s been working well. I decided to try a different SID chip and bought an 8580R5 from a reputable guy on midibox.org

I replaced the 6581 with an 8580R5. Switched the power jumper and the caps. I could immediately notice a brighter sound and much better resonance but also a lot of sporadic behavior similar to what others have experienced. Not really usable. I put the 6581 back in and it works great again. Go figure!

I liked the 8580 brighter sound and resonance. The 6581 is darker and grungier which is also cool. Not sure what’s going on but I’ll stick with the 6581 for now since it’s actually functional.

Hi Guys,

Happy new year to all!

I’m happy to confirm that the Octotrack is now working since the new firmware 3 released Jan5th. The midi engine has be reworked along with other optimising.

You can download it here:

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if in need of any support, I’m still not getting updates from this post but I’m checking email every day

info at twisted-electrons.com

Kind regards
Alex

very nice to hear alex!
thanks for all the hard work.

i am still waiting for some sid sound bites guys!

yeah, I may need to buy this… I see a lot of people having trouble though? Stuck notes and what not… Thats a bit discouraging. :frowning:

I have the latest version of this unit received just before xmas… unfortunately the sid chip i had kept for years is faulty so i cant play :frowning: now im in need of rent money so im putting it up for sale… grab a bargsin if you are looking for one of these! Pm me if interested… ill take $100 off the new price + shipping to anywhere. (Its a small light unit so shipping will be cheap) i can quote anyone who is genuinely interested. Ebay will have it if nobody contacts me this week… my ebay is analogback 100% fbk for over 1000 deals. Or you can pick it up in nth melbourne australia.
Just to recap… its the synth, without the chip. Cheers!

Mine is shipped back from repair and is stuck in US customs right now. I’ll let you know if my stuck notes issue is fixed.

Update just got mine back from repair. Works without issues. Been jamming for the past 1/2 hour with the therapSID and the SP1200

1 Like

Yesterday I’ve updated to FW 3.0 and it seems all the child diseases are gone. It works perfectly with OT now.

While I was reading through the MIDIBox forums, I stumbled upon this link:

http://www.bigmech.com/misc/c64mods/feedbackloop.html

I wonder if TherapSID would swallow such hack too.

There is even noise reducing solution:

http://www.bigmech.com/misc/c64mods/noisereduction.html

Maybe I’ll give this a try some day, perhaps as external hack first.

1 Like