New MFB drum machine 301 pro

Looking at the pictures on the Thomann website it would seem to have phones out as well as line level… sync too. https://m.thomann.de/gb/mfb_301_pro.htm?o=2&search=1573504303

1 Like

Yep. Line out and headphone out. I’m powering it directly from my Blackbox.

It’s very simple to use and surprisingly versatile. It does polyrythms and each sound has its own level, tune, decay and custom parameter (different ones per sound). It even does p-locking.

And it’s LOUD. So there’s that, too😎

2 Likes

No worries, the Club has been on my radar for a good while also but I really can’t justify another synth just now… the 301pro is affordable enough to seem rude not to. I was wondering how much of a pain it would be to program from the front panel but your comments in this thread are dispelling that notion. Food for thought!!!

Well, it’s MFB so there’s always some pain involved. I’ve never taken issue with their interfaces and actually think they make sense, once you get them. But there will be others who strongly disagree.

But it’s a fact that I can whip up a beat on this thing within a few minutes, with p-locks, polyrythms and individual levels. I kind of like how old school it is. Takes you to other places, creatively.

6 Likes

Thanks for the insight. It definitely sounds up my street, I’m a big fan of the happy accident… i can feel the modem aesthetic calling me.

1 Like

I’m using this for the first time in a track now. Like most of MFB’s stuff, it works really well in a mix. Limited in its sound palette for sure, but I see myself using this for awhile even so.

1 Like

This thread got me to look closer

“MFB-301 Pro is the ideal expansion for MFB Tanzmaus. Combined, all instruments of the MFB Tanzbär 1 are available. Also, the MFB-301 Pro can be controlled and even be programmed from MFB Tanzmaus via MIDI.”

As I have a Tanzmaus, this is really tempting! I’m not sure the voices on the TM that are supposedly the same as on the Tanzbar 1 really sound the same. All the same the TM sounds pretty damn good. It’s sequencer keeps time with the OT perfectly, including on bank / PC change.

I tried using the TM just as a module, sequencing all parameters from the OT, but it takes a lot of Midi tracks and cc slots to map everything, then you have to remember what’s where. Sequencing two or more drum parts from one midi track in the OT gets tricky - stuck with same velocity on notes on same step etc. So now the TM plays happily alongside the OT. And I’m very tempted by this expander for it!

Yeah, that MFB statement got me going as well, since the Tbear is one of the best sounding drummers like ever.

But it’s not entirely true. With the two combined, you might be getting the same basic sounds overall. But you don’t have access to three toms or congas, the 301 cymbal is way louder and can’t be subtle like the Bear’s, and the snare’s not as flexible, nor is the clap. And so on.

Much of the Tanzbear lies in its sequencer and how you can use MFB’s unique take on p-locks to bring out the best in the sounds. The Maus and 301 combined can’t go there.

They’re still awesome in their own rights. But the two combined does not give you the Tanzbear.

This seems like it would be great to combine with a Machinedrum. Use MD midi tracks to sequence it and have it provide some much needed analog flavor to the all digital MD. I’m loving that old school modem look as well.

2 Likes

The TM also has plocks with which you can choose sample per step on the two sample tracks, which have good engines (no sample track on Tanzbar 1).

Yep. I’d imagine the Tanzbär Lite and the Tanzmaus would be a spectacular pair.

This seems very useful as a “slave” to an Elektron box.

Nice video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=FgcG1StojH0

6 Likes

I think you’ve really undersold that video… it’s a really useful run through. I’d previously managed to stave off temptation…

This one is helpful to understand the CCs :slight_smile: https://youtu.be/kShR2R_tPf4

1 Like

Now I actually regret selling the tanzmaus. Would have gotten this immediately. On the other hand, I think going tanzbar directly is the simpler route

Yeah, the idea that you have a Tanzbär if you
get both the Tanzmaus and the 301 is just not true. These machines are so much more (or less) than their sound.

Somehow I have a feeling that they definitely have thought out that market segment!

…thanx for this tip…great one…

The Tanzbar lite must cover the same/similar ground to the 301 though?