New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

This was about the sound. Sounds itself are the most important thing for me. 1024 voice polyphony are useless if the sounds are not the sounds I want.

1 Like
Syntakt tangent

Yeah, itā€™s just that the workaround means I canā€™t noodle the way I love to do with polyphony, thatā€™s a big part of how I ā€œdiscoverā€ new song ideas. Even just having the previous note ring out while the next one is playing makes a big difference for these kinds of sounds. But thatā€™s maybe just me. And itā€™s good that there are ways and workarounds on the Syntakt.

A master chorus send on the Syntakt would be lovely but I guess is unlikely to happen.

I believe Cuckoo did this in his video on it. He showed a shortcut to saving everything youā€™re working on while youā€™re working on it. Canā€™t recall if it was playing but he was in the creative flow when he did it

Shift+Write, Write, Enter. :blush:

Curious about the logic Roland is using when designing their sequencers.

So they left out micro-timing on the SH-4d, but if has First & Last Step?
On the MV-1, Roland left out First & Last Step, but it has micro-timing and a basic Song mode.
And the MC/MV/SH all have substeps and play-direction.

Wouldnā€™t it be easier to code all the sequencers the same?

4 Likes

Iā€™d wager they mean polyphonic strings which is more annoying to do on the Syntakt. Thatā€™s my guess anyway. I do love my Syntakt, but the mono limitation of most Elektron devices is annoying.

2 Likes

They can be good to explore and understand how a sound was crafted. Especially with the Syntakt where itā€™s not using traditional synth generation workflows.

1 Like

@zaezur yeah Iā€™m unclear if the sound can be saved while itā€™s playing though.

What for one is a mono limitation, is for others a multitimbral liberation :wink:

2 Likes

My guess from those I know in other synth companies is that each team is working on their specific gear. Iā€™d wager that more features will trickle into the device over its lifetime. I would be surprised if they donā€™t add more models.

Iā€™ve realised today that the SH-4d is very closely aligned to the 4x Digital Parts found on the Roland JD-XAā€¦ I donā€™t think thereā€™s much that the SH-4d can do that the JD-Xa canā€™t, but the latter does a lot more.

I would love that SH-4d screen on the JD-Xa though!

Roland ZenFreak

This looks like something with the elements of Zen Core but stripped down to not have everything all at once and instead has something more like the complex oscillator modes of the Freaks or the oscillator algorithms of the Cobalt.

4 Likes

My thoughts too. It is basically a microfreak groovebox. Very tempting!

2 Likes

I like the syntakt more. Iā€™ve had both.

fair enough, From all the videos I have seen of the Syntakt I have not been impressed. Sounds pretty basic to me compared to MnM.

Though Iā€™d give this thing a try for sure :wink: I wish it was not bigger as a Digi, though. And didnā€™t look so ugly ā€¦

2 Likes

Just thinkingā€¦ A plug-in based on the SH4d implementation of the Zen-Core engine could work very well alongside Zenology Pro (or as a ā€œmodel expansionā€) on a DAW.

1 Like

At a certain point my head spins at the sprawling multiverse of Roland legacy sounds. There are different versions, market niches, and design philosophies that theyā€™ve used to repackage a half-dozen synths from the 80s/90s asā€”at least!ā€” the Boutique series and its earlier iterations that (TB-3 etc), Juno X, Jupiter XM, Roland Cloud, Gaia SH-01, the JD-XA, the MC 101 and 707, MV-1, the TR-8s and -6s, ZenBeats ā€¦ and then there are the different VA synth engines Zenology, Zencore, ACB.

[Edit: forgot the new Aira compact series and Juno DS88, lol, and I bet there are still moreā€¦]

After some initial skepticism, though, I think that if I were wanting to go beyond samples and the occasional bit using Analog Lab Intro, the SH-4D would be a good sound module for those Roland Sounds for me. Especially having multitimbrality and patch changes and a mod matrix thatā€™s available to PC and CC messages respectively makes this stand out ā€¦ though I feel overwhelmed by the prospect of having to confirm that this, and not a literal dozen other similar products, would have the right combination of features for meā€¦

2 Likes

I think picking one and committing is the way to go. Or return gear if it doesnā€™t work. Decision paralysis is definitely something I understand and can relate to, especially when a lot of options exist.

2 Likes

I think the ā€œgyroā€ is a god-awful idea, sooner or later, your cords are going to come out, you know this to be trueā€¦