New Volca FM 6-Voice

Yeah I do see what specific niche it fills. It’s like a tiny box full of great and diverse sounds. No other volca really does that (due to lack of presets or lack of depth). It just really isn’t what I find appealing about hardware.

I agree with that.

I think my fave Volca is a the Keys. It’s not deep, but must be the fasted synth ever to shape a different sound, which is fun (and has utility for live or finding ideas),

Korg is Japanese, I was using the imperial calendar system!

1 Like

I’m growing a beard just in case I decide to become an influencer. Next I’ll work my facial expressions

1 Like

Oh yeah!

2 Likes

Let’s aim to swing it back on topic people :thup:

3 Likes

This thing sounds great, and the additional 3 voices will only help to highlight that. Seems like a really nice update.

That said, it does seem like it’s a dramatically improved instrument if you can connect a keyboard and maybe another midi controller with sliders/knobs to make it feel more playable.

Love Hulten should design a beautiful enclosure with a Volca FM mk2 inside, that’s the answer here.

2 Likes

Sorry.

1 Like

It wasn’t a reminder about your post, there were a lot of flags to process for the posts above that …

2 Likes

My experience is almost perfectly inverse of yours.

I find software FM synths frustrating because it is very difficult to make precision adjustments with a mouse or trackpad. A trackball helps, but my Logitech trackballs take up roughly the same amount of space as a Volca.

I do actually enjoy Yamaha’s flavor of menu diving. The DX architecture, particularly it’s algorithms, make more sense in this context. By dividing the architecture into a network of operators connected by an algorithm and the operators themselves, Yamaha gives us a way to keep “everything” that is relevant in short term memory, or on a small piece of paper.

Between the Volca FM and soft synths, both of us can have a lot of fun with FM.

6 Likes

damn this looks fire, wonder how it compares to the opsix plugin they just released. Korg’s fm game is pretty nice these days

Sweetwater says it isn’t going to be in stock until August. So it’s either extremely popular immediately or the shipments are way behind the review units.

Heh you do realise you’re posting this on Elektron forum where people fanatically adore expensive little hardware black boxes for which you need textbooks on how to program them.

Of course Dexed is much more easy to use. Just like Ableton for beats. Yet still we all buy black boxes.

2 Likes

I don’t like most of them either (some of them I even hate with passion), but this guy is legit low-key enthusiast. I really don’t like his face on top of the video, he looks like an idiot, honestly, but he’s a good guy. He’s smart about his money and purchases, he’s a legit musician and the only reason he’s “shilling” for Korg is that he made that Synthmata sysex app by himself years ago and Korg noticed him.

4 Likes

Korg upgrading their Volca line gives me hope that someday we’ll get analog Volcas that just sound a bit better.

I love the sequencer and design but the fidelity just isn’t enough for me to use them regularly. I’ve heard and enjoyed some tracks with them but generally I find them just too low-fi .

I felt the same way about the Minilogue XD (though I was more tempted to hold onto it).

The XD is up there with the best-sounding synths I’ve owned, and I’ve owned quite a bit.

2 Likes

There’s no way to recall a memory with midi ? Just checking.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the filters, everything else I thought was nice.

1 Like

Red Means Recording really took things down to earth. :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

If you’re talking about Program Change, no. The unofficial 1.08 (1.09) FW of the original FM did add it I think.

2 Likes