#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

A private/cloud spreadsheet would be more effective to that end.

Edit: Yes, “private” :slight_smile: Otherwise it gets weird, like some social unboxing or celebration of consumerism.

Unrelated, but also relatedThe Funko Pop! Is the Mascot of Nerd Imperialism That Will Outlive Us All 

1 Like

Or even just keep track of our own unless it helps people to make that info public.

1 Like

That is a really good idea! Current cupboard items are MPC2500, Bass Station 2, Tascam 424mk3. I don’t really want to sell any of those but the fact is I’ve not used them all year. When I started buying hardware, one of the justifications was buying a bunch of stuff, seeing what I actually used, selling the rest for a hopefully small loss. That hasn’t really worked out yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

I cant jump the hype train, at least I want to know about drumlogue and syntakt.

Welcome - you’ve been added :raised_hands:

I can’t advocate the selling of an MPC2500 or Tascam424mk3, but in general it sounds like a good idea. :wink:

2 Likes

Reasons why I think it’s gonna be easy:

• I already have too much gear. And some great stuff that I never use and collects dust.
  • What I bought last year didn’t change much in terms of production for me. It has even been deceptive to a certain degree.
  • I don’t have much envy for the currently available gear in stores. Synths ? Don’t care. Groovebox ? Already had most of them. Utilities ? I have everything needed.
  • I jumped on the iOs bandwagon (Drambo / Loopy Pro) and I have a blast with an iPad alone. Portable, open, limit-less… from production to performance with ease.
2 Likes

Good read, and well in the mood of the thread, I believe.
For most of us here it’s mostly collecting synths/pedals/software/etc instead of pops, and they are inherently different from a utility perspective.
However, GAS can blur the line so much, to the point of synths becoming metal pops on shelves, just to show off who we “are”, and most likely to ourselves, which I find quite sad.

1 Like

We’ll find out if I can over the course of the year (probably not)! I might change the 2500 for a 1000 (JJOS of course) for space/portability reasons. I’ve just been reading about USB-C rechargeable battery mod for these older MPCs…

https://www.modularsound.io

1 Like

I think it’s often more about chasing device(s) with workflow that connects more with ideas in your head. Things often looks solvable with new kit. As most folk then flip what they had before, and often go back to what they flipped as the new thing wasn’t better at all.

As Stephen Stills sings, “Love the One You’re With” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have a good long list of stuff I’ve sold and then re-bought for this very reason

2 Likes

I think there is a sincere desire to share things with others online, and insta-staged “battle station” configurations are a lot easier than finished product. Youtube is absolutely filled with “unboxing” videos because of jolt people get from parasocial consumption…

1 Like

I decided to make one final purchase before the gearless next year and ordered a Strymon Deco. Now… I’m all set, lol. :rofl:

2 Likes

Half of this thread before the new year

9 Likes

“The thread made me do it”

4 Likes

I’m writing an article about this subject, inspired by this thread. I especially like the angle that we waste so much time checking gear, reading reviews, watching YouTube videos, buying and selling, that we don’t have time for actually playing and making music.

I’m looking for a few quotes to include in my article (for lifewire.com’s tech news section). It’d be great if anyone could give a sentence or two summarizing their thought on this, or why they’re doing it, or anything else.

Just a reply in this thread would be perfect!

5 Likes

I think a lot of us are thinking of one last thing with the end of the year looming.

Perhaps we have a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy for last purchases of the year and regroup on January 1. :rofl:

3 Likes

Don’t forget the correlation to other technical-creative fields like photography!

I’m happy to give thoughts on any draft if you want to send a PM.

1 Like

New thoughts:

I am not doing no-gear new year (at least this year), however I very much subscribe to the one-in one-out philosophy, especially for items with overlapping functionality. And the depth year idea, where applicable

I never thought I was going to sell my plumbutter 2 (like a month ago, haha), but I recently did. I loved making experimental tracks, and I love making beats on the fly. I have done several releases with it. But I felt I explored it appropriately and just realized it wasn’t what I want to do with music right now in terms of drums.

I have been super inspired by footwork/jungle/dubstep lately, so I picked up an mpc 1000 as a way to program beats live.

Just want to be a voice saying, don’t let arbitrary challenges like this get in the way of your musical goals. But only buy things if it supports your musical goals. And understand the consequences of buying/selling

I do fully support not being wasteful of material things and if you aren’t using something and don’t plan to, please sell it to somebody who might be able to make wonderful music using it! It’s just about the music!

8 Likes

If GAS feeds the flames of consumption, RTFM is a fire retardant. I’ve been a Digitone user and lover for six months and realized the other day I’ve been completely ignoring the SYN2 page 2 menu.

I’ve been able to make a lot of cool stuff without adjusting the attack offset and phase reset of the A and B oscillators. After re-reading the manual on those pages, I’m just experimenting with those functions. I have a few ideas about what I might do with those functions, but that’s sadly it, and there’s still a helluva lotta cunfusion. Obviously, room for improvement.

Which brings me to the point of this post. The easier to comprehend/implement aspects of a piece of gear are going to become incorporated into our workflow faster. At some point, though, our shovels are done with topsoil and hit hard rock underneath. And when you’re six feet down in a hole, it’s a challenge just to throw the rocks out of the hole.

The Digitone, and FM synthesis in general, is scary deep. I’ve mastered some of its features, but there are other, harder features to master. My learning curve has, predictable, flattened, and it will take focused, deliberate work to continue improving.

I wonder if this is the point where some of us think about the next piece of equipment. I have been reading the 2021 Hits and Misses thread, and IMO there seem to be way too many hits and not enough misses or on-the-fences. I mean, should anyone be allowed to assess a piece of gear after less that a year? When I read that someone has bought a dozen pieces of equipment in 2021 and describes all of them as HITs, I wonder if they’ve worked themselves past the honeymoon phase of product ownership.

I’m trying really hard to rationalize NOT buying any new gear in 2022.

8 Likes