No New Gear Year 2023 AKA NGNY 2023

Although I didn’t actually buy anything yet I’m going to whip myself with midi cables tonight to fight off the urge and gain repentance.

11 Likes

Just so long as they are cables you already own! :wink:

4 Likes

actually the rules are that cables are ok, so get the 5 pin for full effect and not the flimsy 3.5 style

5 Likes

There’s no contrition with 3.5mm trs midi, not from manufacturers and certainly not from self-flagelists.

3 Likes

This year is going great: as of yesterday I’ve sold off two synths. I think I got like 5-6 more that I can live without.

7 Likes

Looking at a Torso T-1 for that!
Come to think on it, maybe I’ll have decided I don’t need one by then. That’s one thing I like about this exercise.

1 Like

I honestly feel so great when selling stuff. It’s like there’s some cognitive debt that is paid off the moment you hand over the package. I think of it as a re-commitment to the stuff you keep.

6 Likes

In Buddhism while it is not encouraged to consume intoxicants selling them is considered detrimental to one’s karma.

1 Like

So next time just send it over to me for free.

3 Likes

:innocent:

Sure…but we are talking about synths and addiction. Not drugs….so….

I agree with @FNKSTRNG, tho, I find it hard parting with things at first. But once they are gone, it’s like a weight had been lifted.
Example: I’d been carting around 3 surf boards, 3 snow boards, a bunch of skate decks…for YEARS. Felt like I had to keep them, in case I needed them. :confused:

Well I decided to part with them, and it was hard. Spent a lot of time with that stuff. Took the boards to a local skate shop and donated them. Told them if they wanted the stuff they could do as they wish with it. They were stoked.
I was briefly sad to let the stuff go, but wow I felt like a HUGE weight had been lifted. I get the same vibe selling my gear. But once it’s gone…there’s actually some relief. And the few bits I’ve kept, I enjoy so much more. ramble

4 Likes

Traded in 3 synths for 1… To me, a good thing. Really been on my less is more kick this year. Was able to grab a Voyager, (Dream Mono Synth) for my PolyBrute, Sub 37 and a CZ-1. Leaves me with Voyager and OB6 at my disposal. Least amount of synths I’ve owned at one time… never have I felt as fulfilled. Feels like a weight lifted. When I sit down to create, only 2 options… I love it!

So perhaps I sinned, lol, as it relates to no “new” gear… BUT… It was worth it…

Goal is to keep it this way for the foreseeable future.

5 Likes

Yeha, it is a liberating feeling to get rid of stuff you don’t actually need and tbh we don’t actually need most of the shit we have. It is just really hard to look at the stuff that we have imbued with feelings and say “you know what, this thing is not working out”.

Recently I found out that a colleague of mine sells everything they haven’t touched in a year. I find that a very practical way of sorting the shit out of your all your shit. And who knows, maybe after this year I’ll do the same.

1 Like

Usually when I sell something that I’ve had a while I feel the regret before but not after. I had this t-shirt for several years only given to extras on Friday the 13th Part II that said “I was an Extra In Friday the Part II” which I barely wore anymore. I needed some extra cash the other day so I threw that up only and got $300 2 hrs later. Felt next to nothing when I dumped it in a mailer and put it in the post. And no, I didn’t use that cash for any synths but the monies are already gone, somehow.

2 Likes

hope everyone is doing well in the challenge. I have a lot of home repairs to fund this year so it will make the challenge way easier plus lot of gear to master from last few years.

2 Likes

Sounds familiar!

1 Like

Okay that I would have kept and framed! Ch ch ch ah ah ah…

The rule is more like “if it’s been in the closet for six months, you won’t miss it”

But ya, for me definitely, to do music stuff I did NOT need all I had. That’s for CERTAIN. but there’s a bunch of people here that seem like they do. Some that probably don’t and gassed themselves into overstock. I’m not one to say what someone needs or doesn’t need…it’s all fun or career. But buying to buy…not good.

3 Likes

I agree it feels liberating selling stuff. It’s easier to focus on what’s left.

For me, it equally feels like a burden keeping stuff I don’t use. The stuff in the closet sometimes feels like mental weight, just because it doesn’t get used.

I’ve sold 10 effects units and 5 synths/sequencers so far this year. I still have some stuff that I could let go, but I’ll have some fun with it before moving it on.
I have a few units needing repair too, and will put money from the sale into fixing them.

5 Likes

For transparency and accountability, I’ve not stayed on a no purchase mode. I’m selling one of my synths and plan to buy two things, one of which arrived yesterday.

I’m cool and don’t feel victim of myself, and embrace all of it.

I’m still committed to anti-gas.

1 Like