Norand Morphos

Norand has taken the oscillators and modulation parts from the Mono and put them in a Eurorack module. It’s called the Norand Morphos.

You can buy it right now at the Norand web-site.

This seems to me a very smart move.

Here is an article on it from SynthAnatomy.

Full details are still pending.

Anyone wanting to start a thread have at it.

7 Likes

I don’t know if Morphos needs a separate page (given that delivery will not be before June) but here are the product and manual Web pages.

3 Likes

Morphos is only available for pre-order (delivery promised in June) but committing now gets you roughly 20% off, €390 reduced to €320. But that includes 20% VAT, which is not applied to non-EU customers, so €266 as compared to the expected regular list price of €312. Shipping to me in the US is free, by DHL Express.

I also noticed that there is a signup for Norand Mono v2.0 beta (current is 1.2.3) and that they seem to have opened a Discourse server (with no traffic yet).

5 Likes

Ooh, thanks!

1 Like

that’s a really good price for a eurorack complex oscillator. Personally I’m sure I’d miss having individual waveform outputs. My CO has nine outputs and I use them all more than I thought I would. I’m curious about its workflow and to hear what it sounds like though!

1 Like

Some demos here:
https://norand.io/morphos

2 Likes

complex oscillator in a box would be ace, but didn´t it misses a wavefolder?

1 Like

Yes, but tzfm sounds almost like a wavefolder when tz offset is at zero(aka deepest possible modulation). What happens then is that the modulator practically becomes the carrier while the carrier becomes the “fold” amount. It sounds very different from traditional linear fm. Instruo guy explains it much better in this video(I’ve time-stamped the relevant part):

3 Likes

Pre-ordered ! Can’t wait to try it, seems very fun !

1 Like

I found that entire two-hour video on Néoni quite informative (and I don’t even own the module).

1 Like

Wow, I don’t get all of it, but it looks like something new in eurorack ? I wonder if you don’t get lost in all the modes and all. But still, I’m intrigued.

1 Like

Wow, built-in complex modulations plus touchstrip morphing! Looks awesome.

Seems like the minimalist interface helps a bit with that as compared to the Mono, but I haven’t watched a programming demo beyond the performance.

1 Like

It’s all speculation at this point. But from experience with the Mono, I think the Type and Wave buttons should be fine. The waveforms are in the same order as on the oscillators. What is better than the Mono is a dedicated modulation indicator for each knob/input (with a reminder in the LED colour in the knob itself). With the Mono, I find myself forgetting what I have put on a knob – LFO? envelope? mod lane? or some combination – but here there is a reminder, or a way to find out.

I suspect that what I will not use much is the live Y-Z vertical touch/pressure modulation, except perhaps to toss in weird glitches, or while setting it up so that I can automate it via the Y/Z inputs. Fast access to presets is nice, and I can see using the “1D” X touch modulation to morph between adjacent ones.

2 Likes

There are four short videos (1-2 mins) showing the Morphos on the Norand YouTube channel.

3 Likes

Hey folks! I was lucky enough to be sent a pre-production version of the Morphos to make some videos on. Rather than trying to show off everything in one go which I suspect would lead to a very long video (even by my standards), I’d try to showcase different elements of it across 3 different patches. This is the first one: showing it in a “conventional monosynth” setting, focussing on looking at the core sound of the module and also the contextual modulators which offer a ton of utility (and save on needing other modulation sources in many cases - similar, but different to the way things work on the Mono).

Happy to try and answer any questions if they occur!

6 Likes

Thanks for this, and I look forward to the next two in the series. Norand’s own videos curiously undersell this module.

2 Likes

Much delayed, but here’s video 2 in the series:

In this one I hit Morphos with some more extreme modulation, under tempo sync’d control from Pams. In the second half of the video I mult the outputs to a bunch of LPGs and ping them open to coincide with the modulation to make it sound like many voices with the modulation accentuated. Lovely stuff.

In the next video I’ll be messing with the presets and morphing a load more. Hopefully it won’t be as delayed!

4 Likes