Novation Peak

Yep, that’s normal, since the custom wavetables feature was added.

1 Like

Hey im finding that the arp is always a bit behind and doesnt achieve perfect sync like all the rest of my gear, it receives notes and everything perfectly just a bit of lag with the clock or something
no matter how i try set it up… anyone else having this problem?

when i use the arp on my sl mk3 its perfect and its using the same clock source

1 Like

You’re sure that the clock source in the Arp menu is set correctly and displaying received clock? What about the arp sync rate, is it set to a “straight” time or one that gives a slightly wonky result?

1 Like

I went out for while come back switched it on and is in time and working correctly, no joke…
There must be a reason for it being out im not realizing…
i had been trying to get it to play in time for 2 days…

the arp is just basic up, rhythm 1…
must be a classic case of user error… ill figure out what was wrong eventually

2 Likes

Yes, I have the same arp-lag issue with Summit. Not only arps, but fast synced LFOs as well (for staccato rythmic filter choppy stuff). Reeeeally annoying.

1 Like

I was lagging since i got it and it suddenly started working today…
i have still not figured out why…

do you have components open? im thinking it could be because of usb connected?

Can it be that the lfo don’t start at the desired phase? Have you tried changing from free running to phase at zero?

1 Like

Good tip, I’ll try that out.

No USB.

Clock is coming straight from Digitakt over MIDI.

1 Like

So when you clock something from a hardware device, is the expectation that the slaved devices just sync up perfectly? I’ve only ever done it using my daw (bitwig) as the clock source, and I do need to figure out the timing offset for each device, but once I get that done its pretty tight and stable. Typically I need about a 20ms offset which can vary with each project and each device, but the range is usually just somewhere between 15 and 25 ms, so unless I’m being really fussy I dont bother constantly calibrating.

If you daisy-chain instruments with regular MIDI, there might be some lag. But a direct -MIDI-connection between two instruments should be very tight, with near zero noticable lag.

The problem with the Summit it that it starts out almost spot-on, but then drifts over time. After 16 bars of music, it is waay out of sync.

Ok. That drift would make it unusable, right. I’m not getting any drift with the peak. I would try a different clock source to see if it works any better. I mean, with that kind of drift I’d be guessing it is not recognizing the clock.

any idea if the Peak is getting multi timbral in the future? I wouldn’t say no immediately as novation is known to support their products for years

thinking of getting a synth to be sequenced from the OT, torn between this or the A4

I doubt it, but if you bought the A4 you wouldn’t be sequencing it from the OT, so I’d say the Peak is your target between those two!

1 Like

i dont think thats possible at all due to hardware limitations.
you cant patch in a second analog filter for example.

but there is a duotimbral peak, its called summit :pl:

3 Likes

Yeah no chance of it becoming multi timbral. The closest you can really get is using the key index as a mod source to tweak the sound between low and high notes eg have less attack on higher notes so you can play a melody over some chords. Loopop takes advantage of this here:

Monotimbral synths are an excuse to have more synths, embrace it :joy:.

4 Likes

Monotimbral synths are an excuse to have more synths, embrace it :joy:.

lol

well what im trying to do is to make the OT to be a central sequencing hub/arranger, so a multitimbral functionality would be nice. just figured that since novation tends to update their stuff frequently that might be a possibility in the future… perhaps the A4 would be a nice option

1 Like

But A4 is only 4 voices when in poly mode, got to weigh it up

Prophet 12 module might be worth a look? I’ve been eyeing one myself.

I’m sure you know this, but the OT can be awkward for sequencing poly synths. Most crucially, it does not allow for overlapping notes that started on different steps.

1 Like

Moving some of this Peak discussion here :slight_smile:

Would love to hear what other’s think of the three different drive circuits and how they use them!

To me, the Pre-drive is like a driving nice tube amp, making everything fatter. But as @Hawk has mentioned, the post-drive sits better/smaller in the mix.

@fffiiissshhh: So here’s the basic idea, I haven’t come up with a patch I really like yet but it’s fun to experiment:

1. Get your two LFOs out of sync (per voice). There are many ways to do this, I prefer to use the mod matrix: velocity to LFO 1/2 rate with +1
  2. Go into the voice setup, choose Unison:2 and UnisonSpread:127 (use detune if you like). While you’re here, go ahead and add some filter divergence.
  3. Start using your LFOs to modulate stuff! Since they are out of sync, you’ll get different effects on different sides of the stereo field. Lots of options for destinations here (I like a subtle effect on Noise volume)
  4. Bonus points for more cross-modulation- e.g. use LFO1 to modulate a parameter on a ModEnv … then use that envelope to modulate something else.

Tip: if you use a sawtooth LFO then it really pronounces the effect. It’s easy to overdo it

Share anything cool you come up with or other fun tips you have!

5 Likes