Novation Summit

Does someone know if it is possible to identify fixed aftertouch units by serials ?

Thx a lot.

Alright enough of us here have one of these now that we should be getting some traffic in the thread, letā€™s start swapping patches, I mean, COME ON. Itā€™s the right thing do do. You know who you are, donā€™t make me @ you!

Why on earth doesnā€™t this synth get more love? It sounds bloody amazing. Mate of mine just got one, itā€™s absolutely gorgeous.

2 Likes

I really liked my Peak, but circuitghosted it. Iā€™d be on the Summit in a second, though, if it had MPE.

I have to stop myself from raving about the Peak for fear of sounding like a paid shill. Itā€™s a great synthesizer IMO, its sound and its workflow suit me very well.

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:

Damn those circuits and the ghosts within them.

1 Like

At risk of this I think the Summit is the best synth Iā€™ve ever used. Not because of its sound, but itā€™s just the best synthesizer Iā€™ve used so far. A chameleon capable of almost anything, a blank surface to draw upon.

3 Likes

Haha this is what Iā€™m talking about. Mine came last night and I got it all set up, totally gorgeous. About to turn it on and go nuts!

3 Likes

Paid shill alert!

3 Likes

If Iā€™m a paid shill theyā€™re severely misallocating funds, with my 60 subscribers and all.

I think because the vast majority prefers the Peak, most people utilizing its sound seem to sequence it, or demo it with a tiny 2.5 octave keyboard, lol.

Summit is a beast - just wish it had a more fleshed out mod matrix including the sustain parameter, plus tempo synced envelope looping and panned oscillators

1 Like

Novation tends to add feature requests if theyā€™re physically possible. Iā€™m curious about what theyā€™re releasing in collab with Aphexā€¦ I have no GAS but it might be hard to resist if itā€™s cheap.

Yeah I have it side by side with my Peak just so I can keep looking at the differences, and the additional panel controls are so nice to have! The sliders are waaay longer than the Peak too! I also really like the very chunky black keys, totally different from the Digitone Keys.

What would the MPE be used for? I know it can receive poly-at no problem but Iā€™m not sure what else MPE would be used for, not very familiar with MPE.

I think theyā€™re basically the same thing. Poly-AT just refers to separate after touch on each voiceā€™s/keyā€™s channel. MPE includes poly-AT but often has some extra dimensions, like side to side, or forwards and backwards motionā€¦

I also think they meant that they wished the Summit had a poly-AT keyboard built into it, which in 2020 seems to be a lot to ask for. Hydrasynth only managed to do it because their parent company produces keyboards.

@Hawk Thatā€™s it, thatā€™s the difference.

A poly-AT keyboard would be an enhancement, sure, but my full-MPE implemented LinnStrument is my main controller, at least until the Osmose drops. And for microtunings, a regular keyboard is a non-starter, so Iā€™m planning a double-LinnStrument config for that.

If you have a controller with extra dimensions, such as the Seaboard, you can map the X and Y axis (up and down the key, and left and right between keys) to different per-note modulation. The X axis is most commonly used for pitch bend, but can be reassigned (personally not a fan of pitch bend usually).

To be honest, for me as a not-very-good keyboard player, poly AT is the most important one as it is the easiest to control while playing. Thinking about the X and Y position of your fingers relative to the key too can be a bit much, but the feeling of e.g. swelling a note by moving your finger up the key on a Seaboard is really cool.

On a technical level, poly AT is a regular MIDI message, but which has an extra byte, which contains the note number that the aftertouch relates to. This means poly AT for multiple notes can be sent on a single channel. MPE makes use of one MIDI channel per note (essentially each note gets allocated a different channel), to allow a full range of expression for up to 16 notes at a time while still being backwards compatible with the MIDI spec. One reason they didnā€™t implement it in the same way as poly AT is that all the available MIDI status bytes are in use.

Get a Hydra KB to go with it. You then have the PAT you want. And you have Warm and Metallicā€¦good contrast :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah as @Not_DIV1N says they are quite responsive to feature requests. There has been some discussion here recently on what would be good to have added to the mod matrix, I need to take the time to submit a request.

Itā€™s a simple one but Iā€™d love if it had a chord mode - literally just a chord memory where you hold a chord, press a button and then playing one note transposes the chord. Though Iā€™m sure it wouldnā€™t be too difficult to add scales / modes.

Iā€™d also like some more control over the attack and release of the animate function rather than them just being on/off.

I guess I still donā€™t understand, I know what poly-at is, but are you saying you want the summit to respond in a certain way when using an external controller? Canā€™t you just assign whichever control messages you like for expressive play on your controller, like a slide up opens the filter or whatever, and since it already supports poly-at, good to go?