Octatrack and recording Trigs

A lot has been asked and answered and a lot of youtubes are out there, but there is one thing, I do not get my head around:

Please give me an example of the usage of more than on record trig.

Usually I use one trig at the beginning of the bar and record whatever I selected. I make them oneshot or I disable the trig on the fly to keep what I recorded. Than I start manging…

But in which case would it be useful to place more than one record trig? Why would I use for example 16 trigs…?

Sorry, I just do not see the obvious. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.
F.

2 Likes

To get weird. Record every other beat and have them play back a half a beat later in reverse for example.

5 Likes

this is where you start to see some of the deeper possibilities of the OT.

we’re used to the traditional sampler mindset - feed it a sound, loop/trigger that sound, manipulate that sound.

the OT can be sampling all the time

start playing with it and see where it leads.

make sure you leave a trail of breadcrumbs though, cos it’s a long way back and there’s some creepy noises after dark.

11 Likes

may be I should go out and enter my next eploration phase :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ot can play what it records directly.
If I record my guitar with a Rec Trig every 8th, I can pitch 1 octave down the recording, played every 8th too, Timestretch off, to play a kind of bass. Works pretty well for me, better than pitch shift effects.
If you put several Trigs, record is “refreshed” more often.

I took some time to experiment with more than one record trig in my pattern…

Funny that there is none (at least I have found none) youtubes out there showcasing the “magic” of that.
I am sure that I am missing something…

What am I doing:
mainly I do Ambient and Soundscapes https://soundcloud.com/faktoid/tracks

I do make heavy use of more than one playback trig and let LFOs do all kinds of stuff to my sound.

But I just don’t understand what could be useful in more record trigs… As I am not so much beat driven, there are just small changes between for example the first and 9th step of my recordings…

I guess, what I am saying is that I simply do not understand that feature…
or possibly have no use for it?

I would be happy if someone shows me an example for the use of more than one record trig in a pattern.
Thank you in advance!
F.

The main advantage of several Rec Trigs is to have a new fresh sample at every Recording Sample Trig. Trigs will follow closer what you record. Usefull for realtime reverse, low/high pitch (timestretch of or on), short loops pipo etc…
If you use One2 record mode, you will be able to define several recording lengths.

If you have only one Rec Trig, the beginning of each Trig will be the same until the next Rec Trig. Otherwise you can use Trigless Trigs, or Slices, and achieve almost the same things.

You have to try and find your own applications. Maybe you don’t need it.

3 Likes

thank you for taking the time and explaining it to me…

2 Likes

remember also that you can be sending the same incoming audio to various tracks with different arrangements of REC and PLAYBACK trigs.

shit gets wild.

1 Like

will try to keep that in mind…
Some Flex machines with the same recording track and several settings and trigs…
That could be fun, yes…

Thanks for pointing me to that…

1 Like