Octatrack vs learning piano

both at the same time, only reason I can play a lick of keys is just from tryna improvise melodies over my rhythms

2 Likes

There is no pretending to be an artist on the piano.

4 Likes

I’ll be another person voting for both. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

You can even make a solid case for synths/electronics being a next stage in the chain of classical music composition. Every generation of composer built on the musical concepts of the previous generation. There have been a few points of ‘Well, where do we go from here? We’ve done it all.’ The onset of electricity being used to make sound opened a tremendous frontier that even someone as late as Mahler couldn’t begin to comprehend.

1 Like

I agree with you in principle. But, I think, as a community, we are stalled in our progress by a couple things:

First, we have become so accustomed to beat-based music production (sounds placed on a grid, phrases of 2,4,8,16 bar, etc.) that we’ve forgotten that sounds can be arranged in more organic ways.

Second, we have conflated novelty with originality. With sample-based production, we can take any sounds and turn them into “music”. The ability to continuously create works that are technically “new” gives a false impression of progress.

5 Likes

Truth

Please elaborate. :blush:

Learn piano it will open up what you can do in all directions of music (and don’t skip on music theory :slight_smile:)

1 Like