Octatrack vs Mpc

Using statics and first trig condition you can have long linear tracks which respond to (or not) tempo changes, upto 2.2gb in size each, no need for any other trigs, also you can launch them manually either quantised or not, the only limitation is 8 simultaneous playback tracks, and 8 simultaneous recording tracks (like if you want to grab a section for example).

Same here :slight_smile:

Yeah I agree, I don’t tend to think in terms of better/worse, just what is suitable for the application, for longer linear stuff I think the MPC has the edge, for patterns of some styles the OT has the edge, but they are both extremely capable devices.

1 Like

Yes the OT can stream samples from the card so can indeed playback very long samples, but that is not the same thing as an MPC audio track (of which there are only 8). You are not able to stop and then continue playback of the sample, it would have to be retrigged.

The MPC cannot stream from card, though it does have more RAM than the OT. You certainly don’t have the full 2GB for audio playback, I have seen the figure 850MB mentioned?

Yeah, it’s around 800mb usable memory.

From what I’ve read, Akai Force 3.07 beta has disk-streaming, but it’s handled like Beatmaker 3 on the iPad - per sample in a layer/keygroup.

This is true, in such a scenario I’d (in the past) use smaller pattern long statics, or slice points at pattern boundaries on a longer file, each with a first TRC, then at least when you stop playback can be resumed from the last playing pattern. Now I’d probably use the MPC for this particular task :slight_smile:

Yeah from what I read 1300mb is available but as it uses 32bit floating point internally it is equivalent in time terms to 850mb?

Also have you seen the Force firmware hack for the MPCs?

2 Likes

Currently I’m enjoying setting the MPC up like a linear recorder, and recording the OT into it, be aware though that the MPC needs to be sync master as it won’t record when synced from the OT, it drops out of record after less than half a second. Still, it is working well with OT synced to MPC, so no biggie for now but I hope it gets addressed in the next MPC firmware.

If you’re not able to record into the MPC’s audio tracks while it’s the sync follower, spend some money and get a SyncGen, ERM, or one of the Roland sync boxes. I’ve also read that the MX-1 works well as the sync leader.

And avoid cheap MIDI cables, and for cables >9’, you should be using active repeater/extender boxes.

And filter/disable any unnecessary outgoing MIDI data.

My Akai syncs to my OT just fine, samples just fine, records to an audio track just fine.

2 Likes

No, pray tell.

Some guys managed to partially fool the Live/One into accepting the Force firmware.

2 Likes

Pretty slick. Wish I could get the force beta

Kinda still want a Force

1 Like

Just do it.

Like the Octatrack, it’s a machine that you’ll always wonder about unless you have a go.

1 Like

If 2.7 happens with the features we have heard from leaks, the force will be in just about everyone’s setup. That’s why I bought again. To replace mixer and pedals.

1 Like

What features?

2 Likes

Yea - there’s a holiday sale still happening here in Seattle. There’s a Force in stock 10 minutes from my house…

I’ve been really good about impulse buying. At this point, and the amount of research and questions I’ve asked, I’m close to pulling the trigger. Today’s the day to save a few dollars.

Thanks,
Adonis!

We are veering a bit off topic but I assume these features come to mpc as well. The two I want are disk streaming and more importantly external audio interface support. I imagine adding 8ins and 8outs. Using these each with 4 inserts. Enjoying mother ducker. Reverbs and Delays and Compression. Mmm. Tasty

Thanks for the info, good to know, I have a SBX-1 and a MX-1 so I’ll give those a try :+1:

1 Like

please let us know what you thought about the mx-1 combo

1 Like

Hmm, I can get it to sync to anything I try it with, but the moment I try to record onto an audio track the MPC is still dropping out of record arm and only capturing a short piece of audio, it is on 2.91 update, I tried a USB hub for midi input, as well as the built in midi in and even the OP-Z, but no matter what it always happens. With the MPC as sync master everything works as expected.

Audio-recording didn’t work, even with the SBX-1 as master?

Try using DIN MIDI, with the shortest-possible MIDI cable (3’ max). Nothing in-between. Disable all outgoing MIDI data from the master, except transport and clock.

But that’s inconvenient, and I’d like use the OT’s MIDI tracks, and also my laptop, so I’m considering another used SyncGen. But for a small 4 or 5 piece hardware setup, with the OT as master, it worked well.

No not even the SBX-1, to be clear I’m talking about audio tracks on the MPC, it syncs well enough, but the arm light for the track goes off, I tried it with multi arm and single arm just to be sure it wasn’t something to do with that. I wonder if re-installing 2.91 or rolling back to 2.8 might solve it, for now I can just use the MPC as the master, but ideally I’d like to have both options eventually.

Edit: I also tried a few different midi cables, all less than 5 feet. Also no real complicated setup or project, just a single connected midi device, on a empty project with one audio track, no midi being sent except click and transport from master.