Octatrack vs Mpc

:laughing:

MPC can’t record while synced, which is weird enough, but Akai’s response was so much weirder.

1 Like

Dam what a setup!

2 Likes
5 Likes

Neither does the OT fully if you use the made-for-looping pickup machines, something that I found really really odd.

1 Like
2 Likes

Pretty sure QREC in the record 2 menu works with them, but I haven’t used it in a while. You need the sequencer running before you start to record, of course.

This guy is doing with OT what others did with MPC, making it his own and finding his own flow, pretty inspiring I think, and goes to show OT flexibility combined with talent = limitless.

17 Likes

@Voltagectrlr ^^^^

2 Likes

He’s amazing :+1:
I use the OT for hip hop a lot as well. Didn’t release anything so far, but thought about making an OT liveset with those beats.

1 Like

Wow, that was great. Almost seemed more SP404-ish to me, but at any rate, yes, he is definitely forging his own path.

1 Like

Lol funny I just read and posted on the “OT the new MPC” thread and came across this, I remember that video he has some serious skills !

1 Like

he uses MpCs too, if I’m not mistaken back in the day he was the first person to show hiphop being made with modular kit, currently known as modbap

JD Elliot gets busy as well

Garrett DeBell

1 Like

I’m surprised more SP Users are not digitakt users, I remember my mind being blown thinking the digitakt is everything I’ve ever wanted on an SP as far as tweak ability

1 Like

pricepoint and the complexity of the interface probably scare off some users

i can only speak for myself but sp’s still feel like home and every other sampler feels kinda tedious for what i do

digitakt always appealed to me but i couldn’t afford it (till recently), also was confused why it’s not stereo and disappointed in the sample time/fixed storage.

hearing good feedback from friends helped overcome my hesitation and i gave it another chance

finding one secondhand for a low price was the final nudge

2 Likes

me too, still gets on my nerves but at the same time when I just stop thinking about those two issues the digi is heaven

1 Like

Thanks for posting my video! I started on an MPC60II back in the day, then took a long break from music… after experimenting with modular synths for like 7 years, I jumped back into sampling world but wanted to find a sampler that I could carve my own sonic signature with and also be associated with… similar to how Pete Rock is associated with the sp1200, DJ Premier and the MPC’s, Madlib and DOOM with the sp404 etc. The OT is so open ended in design you can really approach it in a unique way.

7 Likes

You are correct, they call me the Godfather of the genre known as Modbap.
Thanks

5 Likes

I love what OT brings to the scene. I don’t believe in tool A Vs tool B. It’s all about the wiring, the sparks, and the pathways in your mind.

4 Likes

“I love what OT brings to the scene. I don’t believe in tool A Vs tool B. It’s all about the wiring, the sparks, and the pathways in your mind.”

Well said, these are instruments/tools… you’ll never hear a carpenter say
Look at the hammer that built this house… We as artists breathe life into these machines.
Great music in this thread!

7 Likes

The OT: the performance tool for the Renaissance 2.0. But we are too young to understand it now.