One device to rule them all?

Sorry to hear that, no worries here on Windows 10, the channels are perfectly functional whether with the synths, the pc or even the vinyl turntable, in the direction table to PC or PC to table. Complete multi-track recordings or just two or three tracks. And all the channels are full.

1 Like

I had the 24 channel version in our podcasting studio years ago. It’s a great value-for-money mixer with the benefit of providing digital recording of all tracks separately via USB, which is rather uncommon. Plus personally I rather like Soundcraft’s preamps on this one. Def a good recommendation at that price point.

If OP can afford up to 2k and cares about the highest quality sound for his budget, I’d recommend a rack unit though. Something like the UAD Apollo 6x or maybe a RME UFX 2/+. They are pricey, no doubt, but the conversion on those devices is just so clear and dynamic, totally worth it in my opinion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:star_struck:

1 Like

No. This is what a lot of folk are trying to avoid.

1 Like

Depending on the budget, and application (if stereo sources are important to you), I would look at the Allen & Heath Xone 96. It works great as an audio interface, you get REALLY flexible routing, stereo channels with great sounding EQ, TWO routable filters with a crunch/OD (think Analog Heat).
2 independent USB Class Compliant inputs too! :partying_face:

It’s a beast.

1 Like

lol, one can never have enough channels, right?! :joy:

I got my UAD Apollo 8 for my home studio thinking “I’ll never need that many inputs & outputs but ok” …a few years later I got eight additional inputs via ADAT…and a few years later I added 30 channels via mixers (16c + 14c mixers) to the setup…it’s a brutal hobby :joy::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

It’s a crazy thing, I really should have taken the 24 channel…
Even if I would probably have the same problem soon. :woozy_face:
I would like a 16-track stereo because I’m starting to use the Elektron “Input” and I only have 6… well, 4 are available. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I would have bought a 24-track mixer years ago if I had the space. You get tired of visiting them in captivity. Though I have a producer friend with an amazing setup who often calls and texts. His studio room got featured in Mix because of his unique mic and guitar booth solutions. He’s got his guitar speakers in the basement with perfect mic arrays he can switch, and that’s routed to four really excellent amps right in the control room. So a guitarist can get authentic amp sounds as though all that’s involved is a pedal. The mics are routed through the ceiling of the studio room so no one gets tangled in the cables, etc.

I thought seriously about the Xone 92 but bought a SiX because of the sudden discount (everyone seemed to be dumping them to upgrade to the Big SiX) and space issues. I would have loved the filters on the Xone and dedicated sends, etc.

Technically, you can use the SiX as a twelve-channel summing mixer, and I do, but that means using a snake for Alt and going through the cue mix. All of which sounds fine conceptually until you want to mix with a fader assigned to each track. I do like the sound of the SiX, though – the compressor, obviously, but even the limited EQs. And I have eight additional channels of digital I/O, so I tend to use the SiX for color as well as summing.

I remember that an engineer on Mod Wiggler had nothing but bad things to say about the SiX. He was a fan of Allen & Heath, but he liked those larger mixers, not the Xone series. I didn’t mind his abrasiveness, but he was quick to put people in their place who were offended when he answered statements like “I just bought a SiX and I love it!” with “How unfortunate. I feel sorry for you.”

It’s hard to be offended by that, though. It was funny and he was going to say it no matter who you were or why you liked the SiX.

Re the Helix: I like the Line 6, but what interests me right now is the Meris LVX. It seems to be the first combo pedal with indy character. The H9, Helix and so on are great for session guitarists and hired guns, but I’m always hoping to experiment in order to get past my extensive session musician damage. I’ll put that once-expensive reverb with modulation on things that don’t need it if I stop being vigilant.

Exactly, hence asking for guidance here so that I can get something that I will not regret in the short term. It’s indeed a rabbit hole isn’t it… :joy:

1 Like

Oh man, why did you have to that? I already dig the xone series as a dj mixer, and now you are giving me ideas!

This thing is quite big though, not sure I can make up space for it…

Best part about it is that this thing can get me started with my turntable spinning hobby I have been meaning to get into. Who doesn’t need another hobby that will potentially drain the wallet right!! :relaxed:

1 Like

@DancingShaman
I had the 828es great sounding unit fully featured with the ability to create and save routing presets so the unit can be used in true standalone mode. I bought an RME UCX II as I couldn’t get my 828 to connect directly to MPC One. Well I was going to sell the 828 but it is really such a great unit different sound compared to the RME but not worse I kept both.
I will say the RME’s has greater flexibility by allowing realtime routing via MAC or iOS also has multi tracking recording via external drive.
Both rock solid and great customer support

1 Like

If that’s your budget I wouldn’t look anywhere other than a XONE:96 personally

A refined, precision 4-band EQ. Unrivalled dual Xone:VCF filters with CRUNCH harmonic distortion. And a dual 32-bit USB soundcard (24 Channels @ 96kHz)

1 Like

It seems to be getting a lot of love here, certainly means something… I’m indeed taking a serious look at it. I’m just wondering if it might be overkill in my case. I’m not a professional by any stretch, but on the other hand this is killing two birds with one stone. I’d not have to buy a dj mixer in the future… Have some thinking and then potentially convincing to do! (Not myself, the wife) :slight_smile:

Ha yea that’s something only you can answer really - it’s a specific tool for a specific job but you do get a lot for your money.

I actually use a XONE:PX5 which is a bit cheaper and a slightly different featurelist - with an extended budget I’d go for the 96 though. The 92 doesn’t have the soundcard.

My apologies

Thanks man!

I had this same thought when I was considering getting one… ‘what business do I have getting a high-end DJ mixer?’… but, it’s not just a DJ mixer. I’ve had tons of mixers and interfaces over the last 25 years, the Xone 96 is my favourite by far now.

As a soundcard, having all core audio apps through it, YouTube audio, Spotify, etc, it’s great. Using it in Ableton, great. Bringing in my stereo gear to a single fader/eq/filter, great. I could go on and on…
It also wasn’t long before I bought Traktor after getting the 96. I’ve never DJ’d before.

I take music very (too) seriously… so, making me want to mess with Traktor/DJ’ing, the Xone 96 brought a load of fun back into my studio that I didn’t realise how much I’d benefit from.

Finally, if you got one and decided in 1-3 months it wasn’t for you, it would sell in a blink of an eye. :+1:

3 Likes

Hear you loud and clear sir. And I appreciate the perspective greatly.