One stop shop portable beat machine

Only the MPC Live has come close to ticking enough boxes for me.

I’ve tried the iPad but I just find there’s too much fannying about. I don’t mind touchscreens but something about the iPad is a real turn off.

I’ve had the OP-1 I think 3 times now. At the prices I paid for it (at one point I got one for something like £375) it’s a great option. Prices they go for now though? Too steep for me. They’re fun though but I found it really hard to finish things with. It always just ended up being x bar ditties that grew tiresome fast.

The Live packed with some good samples (kits and synths) plus something like a X Key was heaps of fun. Sure the FX aren’t top of the line and things but I was pretty happy with that. REason for selling - I don’t do much travelling and for my commute to work it’s just too big to whap out on the train.

Just a thought - don’t write off something like a Surface Pro. Never tried it but they look great for Bitwig or even with a small midi controller. Not exactly “little” though.

I’m glad my baby found a good home :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah it’s a shame when app developers don’t take advantage of the medium. Some other apps that work great for me like this are samplr, the animoog/model15 blade keyboard and lemur. They all use the touchscreen as an advantage. I’ll check out patterning

Well, upbringing is easy since the little Dee have such good behavior imprinted already from the start, thanks to you! :man_student::clap:

1 Like

+1 for the OP-1 for beatmaking. I feel terrible to not have given the DT any love for months but the OP-1 wins all the time. My beatmaking set up is OP-1 + portable turntable (on batteries) + records.
The best part in my opinion is building a loop with

1. Drums
  2. Main melody sample
  3. Additional layer
  4. Bass

And to make your own variations using mutes, tape tricks, m1 (high pass), m2 (delay), play, etc.
That way you record beats in album while training for live situations and it is so much fun which is the most important, otherwise I wouldn’t constantly go back to it.

2 Likes

You should get a Kenton and use DT and OP1 together! Super powerful combo

Thanks but I love to using only one machine at a time. I’d rather fully focus on one and get the most out of it. I actually have a Kenton USB somewhere. But really have enough with the OP-1 and its onboard sampling/sequencing abilities as well as mixing/mastering.
Mind you, i used to “want all the machines” and always ended up broke and stare at the gear and get nothing done.

4 Likes

I’d vote for the deluge. The op1 is s crazy machine with top build quality. don’t know whether deluge pars up with this. But for the op1 and me,… We were not connected last time I owned one. Maybe I should give it another try when prices start to go down again. .But prices are pretty high for the op1 right now.
I think the deluge is only getting more expensive as soon as there will be a higher demand.

1 Like

Maybe better wait for namm and pick up the all new monomachinedrum :blush:

3 Likes

whhooosh! thanks everyone. i will have a little look over the ipad apps and see if any take my fancy as that would definitely be the cheaper option!

I’m not sure what the current status of the TE OP-Z is, but I expect some kind of news at NAMM. As long as price point and feature set of this are unclear I’d rather not buy an OP-1 especially in light of the currently outrageous retail price (at least last time I checked).

1 Like

Don’t hold your breath for information from TE, I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t hear a thing till christmas

I wouldn’t be surprised if the OP-Z is ready to ship by Namm. For some reason, TE are short on supply for the OP-1 and so are all retailers. And they’re not getting new stock until weeks away.

Something’s cooking in the TE lab, and it might be the OP-Z ready to go,.

1 Like

I was sure I read TE weren’t going to be at NAMM this year. Doesn’t mean they wont have something ready but seems unlikely.

If the op-z is in the price range half of op-1 (stated on the sweetwater site) it would be a nice portable unit.

Yup: TE is not in the exhibitors list.

1 Like

You got rid of your Deluge?!?!?!

2 Likes

Yep, months ago. It funded the A4 MKII.

4 Likes

Whoa dude- but you loved that thing! You getting rid of it is like a celebrity couple breaking up :frowning:

2 Likes

As a proud new owner of the PO-32 I can firmly say it’s my favourite portable beat machine at the moment. It’s almost a perfect harmony of Elektron step sequencing with p-locks and pattern chaining, and TE’s quirky FX and presentation.

Microtonic may be restricted to the computer but there’s quite a few kit’s floating around the web to change things up. I love the dial tone data transfers, and the earth shattering bass that comes out of it.

3 Likes