OT + RME (question)

I’m eyeballing the new UCX II when it comes out. A question for anyone with the old UCX or similar RME interface - using the internal routing setup would the following be possible?

RME input 1-2: Stereo synth
RME input 3-4: Stereo synth
RME input 5-6: Octatrack main outs

RME output 3-4: Octatrack A+B
RME output 5-6: Octatrack C+D

And with this setup both mangle (without latency) the two synths with OT and at the same time track both the “raw” synth signals and the OT main outs?

1 Like

I think there is nothing you can’t do with the RME routing.

1 Like

So it’s possible to monitor and record at the same time?

1 Like

yes this is possible in total mix

1 Like

it should be. i can direct monitor via the RME and record in ableton live at the same time. monitoring in live must be off. just have patience until you understand the multimix routing, you can really do anything.
I am still using 2 Multiface II after 12 years so even in this aspect RME is well worth the extra cash.

1 Like

Don’t think you need the new UCX for it, this is also possible with the older models.
Didnt know a new version of the UCX was underway, looks nice though!

2 Likes

Yep i have a similar setup with OT and Babyface Pro. Multirouting can be a bit tricky to operate at first but it’s only because of the possibilities!

2 Likes

Absolutely possible. I have a Fireface UC and it works perfectly for this sort of thing. I’ve extended it by adding an 8-in/8-out ADAT interface to my rack, so now I can play a synth on one side of my room, into the Fireface via my mixer, over to the rack on the other side of the room via ADAT, through an effect, back into the ADAT interface, and to the computer. Totalmix takes a bit of getting used to but you can save snapshots and rename channels to make it easier on yourself.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks

USB-A… weird decision imho - I’d prefer to have USB-C no matter what…

Comment on this from a RME representative

“The TB situation is unchanged. USB 2.0 is good enough for 70 channels record PLUS 70 channels playback (RME MADIface Pro), the UFX II has only 20 channels per direction. TB for such a small amount of channels would just mean wasted money for a more expensive interface (same for USB 3). Your comment on USB on new computers is misleading. USB 2.0 is always available. Simple and cheap (passive!) adapters to any kind of connector format are easy to get and these days a necessity to have anyway.”

what ADAT interface are you using? out of curiosity

1 Like

I highly appreciate that RME is not pushing people to upgrade their systems unnecessarily just to look cutting edge. Got a UCXii on pre order.

1 Like

what would it cost to put C and A side by side. 10-20€ more? In that price league NOBODY would care. I don’t have USB A in my hardware. So this is a no buy. Also there are no nice hubs / docks (and then they still often costs LOTS of money - way more than 10-20€ it would cost to just add both).

Typical german engineering.

USB-C all the way.

You mean USB B. Here you go:

https://www.allekabels.nl/usb-c-kabel/11518/1623382/usb-c-naar-usb-b-kabel-20.html

2 Likes

Aight - good call :see_no_evil: didn’t know about those cables.

1 Like

I was previously using an old MOTM 800 in ADAT mode just as 8 inputs, now using a behringer ADA8000 8-in / 8-out in the configuration I described above. No issues to report so far, had it for about a month with light use. I am not using a separate cable for clock sync, although I understand it’s best practice with optical ADAT.

You could buy a USB-A -> USB-C adaptor for like €7. Simple.

1 Like