Overhub plus alternative MTT USB hubs

Yeah thats why I just bought an overhub and said screw it. It has worked great for me for over a year now.

Anker is my go-to brand for all things USB. I considered the hub you bought as well as the variant with 10 data ports. I ended up going with the 10 port Sabrent due to slightly lower cost as well as the individual activation buttons for each port. I previously bought the 4-port Sabrent in order to inject power into my MOTU M4 when hanging it off of my iPad and it worked well.

I just now confirmed that the Sabrent 10 port USB3 hub works fine with Overbridge and my AnalogKeys. Additionally, I’m using a 10’ long USB3 cable instead of the very short cable that came with the hub. It also works nicely with the Virus TI and the Mystery Island Editor.

My guess is that multi-port USB3 chipsets are mature now, handle MTT on a per-port basis, etc. I’ll continue to buy from known brands like Anker and Sabrent, but it is likely that cheaper generic hubs will also work.

Sabrent also has a 16 port variant that I have not tried, but assume will work fine.

These big hubs are much less expensive and more convenient than the old 19" 8x8 MIDI interfaces, or even smaller MIDI interfaces and dual cables running everywhere. For laptop performers, USB instead of MIDI seems like it would be a no brainer.

Has anybody tried the hub from Thomann?

Cross your fingers. I ordered the 16 port variant.

2 Likes

I received the 16 port variant and it seems to be working.
Link to product page

The only thing though is that I tested on Linux with Overwitch which is the open source and unofficial implementation of Overbridge. I think it should work with regular Overbridge as well.

I plan to use this as my only hub/power supply for anything that has USB so I plugged everything in:

1. Digitone
  2. Digitakt
  3. Analog Heat
  4. Syntakt
  5. Digitone Keys
  6. Novation Launchpad Pro MK3
  7. Nord Lead A1R
  8. 2 x Blokas Midihub
  9. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 MK3
  10. Random USB 2.0 webcam

Edit:

I tested by routing the Main L/R Overbridge ports from all of my Elektron boxes to the speaker out on my Scarlett 18i20 while simultaneously also monitoring all of its inputs where all of these boxes are also wired in.

Second edit:
Looks like I can’t have all my Overbridge stuff running and have the webcam recording at the same time.

Third edit after some time:
I am having issues with this hub after all so it might not be the best option. Buy at your own risk.

4 Likes

Greetings, everyone!

Sorry for hijacking - but this topic seems the right place to ask.

I was wondering, if this setup would work:

• Overhub (connected to MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), macOS Catalina)
    • Port 1 Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    • Port 2 Digitakt
    • Port 3 Analog Four

I would probably have to make an Aggregate Device to see all inputs in Ableton (?).

Does anyone have any experience with Overhub (or any other hubs) with a similiar setup - be it Mac or PC?
Does it work well, or would you recommend having the audio interface connected to a dedicated port of the Mac/PC instead of connecting it to the hub?

Cheers

I have an Overhub and a much more up to date MacBook. I connect a Presonus AR12c, a Syntakt and a Digitone among other things.

It should work? I would prefer Overbridge for the Digitakt and Analog Four versus an Aggregate device. But I don’t know compatibility with such an old MBP.

1 Like

I had not thought about the advantages of Overbridge. Being able to multitrack every single track from the Elektrons would be great indeed.
Thanks for the advice.

2 Likes

Did anyone test the UGREEN usb-c hub that is sold on Amazon ?

There’s no need to trust any BlippityBlooTopBong unbrandeds right out of the Wish or AliExpress hellscape.

Always pay an extra dollar or two for a reliable vendor like Anker when you’re dealing with data and power. The small pittance is worth your sanity!

On the belgian Amazon I couldn’t find anything interesting from Anker … I think I’ll end buying an Overhub :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hrm, I’m fairly aware of alternatives, the Overhub shouldn’t be necessary today offhand since the design hasn’t really changed whereas others have gotten cheaper and faster. What specific UGREEN were you considering or what other requirements did you have?

no other requirements than an usb-c connection and at least 4 usb 3 ports :slight_smile:

I need to plug the Digi Trinity + the A4 MK2 to my MacBook Pro M1. (to be able to handle all the tracks on Ableton with Overbridge)

Another USB port would be a “nice to have” as I have to power my Micromonsta 2 but that’s not a prequisite as I can do it separetly.

This cable works for me to connect my Overhub to my Macbook via USB C:

No I’m not stalking you, I just have a similar setup lol.

1 Like

I thought an USBC -> USB3 câble was enough for Overhub. Was I wrong ?

:scream:
:joy:

That is the cable that fits into my Overhub. :man_shrugging: It is more often used for slightly older HDD drives. It is the USB 3 version of micro B.

1 Like

FWIW - I got this hub a few weeks ago and it’s working really well. I like that it has switches on the ports as its easier than unplugging and replugging cables.

Using it with an M1 Pro MacBook

Powered USB Hub, Rosonway 10 Port USB 3.1/3.2 Gen 2 Hub 10Gbps with 36W (12V/3A) Power Adapter, Type A and Type C Cables, Aluminum USB C Hub Splitter for PC and Laptop (RSH-A10S) https://a.co/d/0zoK2Rm

looks like it’s not available in Belgium neither. Every search gives me “ugreen” as results.

1 Like

Amazon’s search engine is designed to be so absolutely garbage, I will occasionally never see something Amazon actually stocks based on a name search.

https://www.amazon.com.be/-/en/multi-port-switches-individual-indicators-HB-BU10/dp/B079GT1ZVS/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=hub%2Bsabrent%2B10%2Bport%2B60w%2Busb%2B3%2C0&qid=1679500204&sr=8-5&th=1 is pretty solid if you’re just looking for USB3 ports, I have mine with a USB3 (Type B) to USB-C cable.

thank you !

btw, I just remembered I bought one of these : 7 Port Aluminum Powered USB 3.0 Hub with Individual On/Off Switches(RSH-518-7) for my Akai Force but never even opened the box.

What do you guys think about it ?