Performance flight cases?

Keeping a setup relatively compact and use a lightweight case is key here. I carry my setup without help and it’s plug and play. 5 minutes setup time max. Kinda have to when playing between djs. It makes promoters happy as well :wink:

6 Likes

So your still using it? That’s good tohear!

Any learnings/changes sinds the past?

1 Like

Yeah still using it though I’m now in the process of setting up a new case. Will create a video of it again.

Learnings from the gorilla case:
Building quality is flimsy of course so I wouldn’t take it on a plane or anything. But it’s still holding up quite nice despite the build quality. It also gets a bit messy with the pick foam after many times taking gear in and out. But not a big deal either. The case was 70 euro or something so for that amount of cash it’s really a great buy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Th@sk for sharing! Looking forward to the new vid

1 Like

I played at rave with my case on saturday.
There were two cdjs, two turntables and a xone, that the DJs played on, an there was about 0 space for my stuff to set up. We had to remove the turntables from the Table in order to make space for my flightcase.

At 3:00 AM, with about 100 people waiting for more music to be played I was super happy to just plug in one power cable and one audio cable and be ready to play some music, instead of having to connect 4 devices and make sure everthing is connected right.

5 Likes

The model is SKB 3R 3221-7

1 Like

For those in the UK this place often has used cases at reasonable cost:
https://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/

ah OK. @MaxB and @DaveMech make great points here! I almost always played shows with bands as the other acts, so transition time was more forgiving. i.e. not a crowd hungry to keep on dancing!

What do you put underneath to make them level with each other? I imagine that the mixer is not as thin as the Elektrons?

1 Like

The case contains two layers of pick foam. I then used strips of that pick foam to further level everything.

1 Like

All right, it was that easy. Here I was overthinking it.

1 Like

Hi Dave, curious what you decided to get as a new case. Did you end up making a video about it?

1 Like

I did :slight_smile:

Already working on a new live setup design though hehe but it’s also a completely different workflow. This current case as shown in the video does work as intended. With the addition that you can exchange the wood with actual pedal risers :). Saves weight.

3 Likes

I have the exact same setup lol

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Dave, some good inspiration!

Nice one Dave, I have the same concerns about walking, I have a feeling the wheels won’t cut it so at the moment I am disconnecting everything into backpacks which I can comfortably walk with. Thanks for sharing.

after trying two different hard cases that i could keep semi-wired, i’ve chosen to go with an 20 year old carry-on bag, and doing a little more setup/tear-down.

the hard cases and foam just added way too much extra weight/bulk.

I can just barely get my setup into a “standard” size carry-on luggage. i’d rather check my clothing if that’s the issue, because baggage handlers don’t give a fuck whats in your hard-case. My friend Paul Birken had a rack ear tear in half, inside it’s case. nuts…

1 Like

Yeah this is what i’m ending up with now as well. Just a simple trolly checked into hand luggage and an extra bag. There’s no way I’m putting gear in the cargo hold.

One alternative I’ve been thinking about is checking an empty flight case into cargo. Gear with hand luggage. And then connect the gear in the hotel so you still can plug and play.

2 Likes

smart idea. can always put the less fragile stuff with the checked flight case; power adapters and cables, etc. less bulk in your hand luggage then.

1 Like

Researching a portable case as well, not so much for gigs but more to be able to play on the couch. In terms of weight, is that realistic?

Lets say an OT, DT and DN in a snug case on your lap.