Petition to stop Akai from forcing "check in" for plugins

Yeah, hadn’t powered on my Live 2 for a few weeks and today couldn’t get my paid plug ins to load. Glad I signed the petition, that’s some serious fuckery right there.

4 Likes

I think people here appear to be more worried about the potential implications of this apparent bug in the future. Take a look at Roland Corp: a once innovative and successful hardware manufacturer has progressively transformed itself into a one-sided Sound as a Service company. Maybe that’s okay for a recording studio, but it is very expensive for the consumer.

Beyond this darker outlook, the bug is also pretty unforgivable in terms of reliance - imagine you rely on one of their devices on stage.

That’s not how I perceive Roland at the moment, on the contrary, they’re still releasing great gear but some of them has extra saas options, not compulsory or shoved in your face.

4 Likes

I get that and agree 100 percent about the MPC. I was just pointing out that they at least admitted it and said they are working on it. Owning up to something is a good start, let’s hope they follow through now.

My only gripe with Roland is I have to install and login into their sound cloud to get the 404 app. Luckily, I don’t use it nor need it so I’ve yet to do it. It’s just a pain and another thing on my pc.

That said, I totally forgive them because the MKII is awesome!!

It’s not really an “organic groove”, it’s just having a professional level of sequencer resolution and proper treatment of musical note information. My trusty old Yamaha RS7000 had a dedicated edit page where you could scroll through a list of every note and edit its attributes… it also played back exactly what you recorded into it from a MIDI keyboard.

16-step buttons are great for entering in some types of data, but they’re generally bad at displaying and editing complex polyphonic data played on a keyboard…so unless Elektron moves toward the Akai, Roland, Yamaha, Squarp way of sequencing complex polyphonic note info, it’s always gonna feel a bit hamstrung.

The Pioneer DJ Squid actually strikes a really good balance between capturing polyphonic MIDI data from a keyboard, and editing/manipulating on a 16-pad interface. I made some dope songs with a Squid and Digitone Keys (when I had one)

4 Likes

That’s cool . Digitone always feels like cheating, I just put triggers in and it sounds fire… but you have to put in a lot. Anyways I would love a machine that could do both ways.

Yes

Werd