Photography geeks, gather round!

Orwell Street, aptly self titled.
I’d easily hang those in my home. I like the cinematic vibe and how the shorter format saves it from being obviously cinematic.

1 Like

I’ve not tried any of those lenses, but I’m sure they produce nice images.

I’d like it if Canon would offer some FF RF L lenses that were slower, but more compact. It just bugs me that only the fast L primes are weather sealed. There are likely many documentary/street/travel shooters who would appreciate top quality lenses that were more compact.

I like the Fuji system, but I grew up using 35mm film, so the crop sensor doesn’t totally feel natural.

1 Like

There are some “high quality” smaller lenses. But i think that segment are taken care of by the APS-C cameras. Sony has three lenses now in a “slower” G series that looks nice.

Photography is fun, but it makes buying music gear seem cheap!

Omg. Voigtlander just releasing a 50mm 1.0 this month. The Noctulux goes for what £10k or more. This is about £1400. This will fly off the shelves. Not just for portraits but for Astrophotography with such amazing light gathering.

I’ve been using their 25mm f.95 on and off for eight or so years on a succession of m43 Olympus bodies, and now I’ve got their 10.5mm on my Blackmagic micro studio 4k, which is my daily conferencing/lecture recording camera. Both really solid, natural glass, very well built. The wide is a lot of fun, too — having something that wide (21mm in full frame) that fast is a trip.

I have to say, though, that for anything but live events where I need autofocus, I mostly use old 70’s/80’s Nikon manual lenses on a speed booster. The color rendering is so much more human and interesting, and there’s a real feeling of depth to the images. Modern glass is so much more boring. The 50mm f1.4 through the speedbooster turns into an effect (full frame equiv) 75mm f1.0, which is still plenty fast, and just a delight.

2 Likes

I used the manual focus Nikon 50mm 1.12 on full frame for years. I know what you mean about the rendering. Otherworldly. Im excited to see some results with the new Voigtlander though.

I’ve been thinking about upgrading to the 1.2 at some point, but I need to finish the set of Oly 1.2 primes for events first, and then there are cine zooms and ouch

1 Like

I used to shoot events with one lens. Best advice i ever had was use your feet.:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

100%

It’s oft repeated advice, and very good advice!

1 Like

I still do too. One lens on each body :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I usually have two, a 35 and a 75 or 105. For the type of events I often shoot, I don’t get the clear sightlines of a traditional stage and often don’t have the option to put myself where I’d like to be shooting from.

1 Like

The 105mm focal length is one of my favs. I had a Nikon manual 105mm 2.5 my god that thing was sharp.

Ah, yeah — the 105/1.8 is the long lens in the trio I use, along side the 24/2. It’s really just wonderful.

My first time doing street photography in NYC

18 Likes

23 Likes

These are beautiful! :+1:

1 Like

The 3rd photo is a straight up LP cover for my long overdue solo album release!
Amazing work @simonbradford

1 Like

5 Likes

Well this could be the follow up album cover…

Yeah it’s really good IMO. I’m definitely no pro but for me it now has I think every feature I care about from the full version and I find it more pleasant to use the iPad. The iPhone version is really good too for editing (and capturing in RAW) on the go.