PSA: Model:Cycles price increase (US)

I think you defend your instrument, and it’s nice. But the m:s is a flawed design.

The sampler market being what it is now, the m:s just is not competitive anymore compared to similar priced devices.

I love them both. I mean MC and MS. Model Samples MKII would be really exciting to me though. Especially if it had individual track outs. I would pay $500 for that.

1 Like

only a new musician that’s primary need is direct sampling, and a vastly different workflow than the model samples, but if the person is familiar with the model samples workflow and does not need direct sampling there’s no way they wouldn’t go with the model samples… literally every person on this forum who has gotten rid of their model samples cites the need for direct sampling.

1 Like

I would buy a model sample if it could sample resample and slice. Basically if it was a sampler.

A 399 euros sample player just sits weird to me in 2023

1 Like

‘to you’ I definitely concede, but surely you’ve seen the voluminous evidence of users who didn’t need direct sampling, resampling, and slice, and still bought and use the MS?

heck, I’m someone who wished they’d included those features in the MS, and still bought another one so now I have two… on the other hand I had two L-12’s that I promptly returned because I can replace that workflow with several other samplers I have, but the Model samples workflow… can’t be replaced

1 Like

That’s fair. But I love the knob per function interface. Give me sampling and direct outs for each track and I’ll pay $600 even. Hell, just direct outs and I’ll go up to $500. Just wishful thinking but still.

1 Like

I love my M:S though but I totally get it. Magic, that machine, really. It’s got a soul inside it. I mean, all Elektrons do really, but still.

I am seeing a big amount of second hand m:s at lower price than m:c pretty much everywhere.

I also see the model:samples popularity on online sellers being as low as it gets while the lofi-12 sitting top 10-5 in sampler category.

I also see a price increase and no firmware update in the horizon (which wouldn’t really solve much on the model:samples anyways)…

Yes if someone likes the workflow of the m:s they will buy it, but at 399 euros why no add 50-100 more to buy a used digitakt?

1 Like

I must admit, I am saving up for a Digitakt and a Syntakt, not a second M:S or M:C.

2 Likes

In my country there are plenty of second hand digitakt at 400 euros, with the new firmware update how could the model:samples even compete?

Sure the one function per knob is a nice design, but the digitakt can be so much more…

because they might already have a digitakt and the model samples workflow is smoother than the digitakts :grin:

the reason anyone who is primarily interested in the elektron workflow would take a chance on the lofi-12 like you cite is because on paper and via a lot of people citing features are telling people that it’s just like the model samples but better because it actually samples lol but that’s not the case… but that is the reason and I’m no different… I was hopeful… I ordered mine all the way from Japan as hopeful as can be… but there was no comparison between the workflows

1 Like

They are not that low in the states. $580-625 if you’re lucky at best and a used M:S is what? $150?

1 Like

because we’re talking about instruments… if it always came down to paper specs no one would ever buy a sampler that didn’t sample

hell look at the polyend play, it cost a zillion dollars and doesn’t sample but that was never it’s point

1 Like

I am sorry but I have the m:c and the lofi-12 and I absolutely adore the lofi-12 workflow. It’s unique,but makes as much sense as any elektron box.

You probably had the lofi-12 pre updates, they added a LOT of features which really improved the workflow.

2 Likes

Right! It’s all about the generative algorithms, and people don’t even care that it’s a glorified $800 sample player cause the performance effects are sickwitit!

1 Like

You are not helping me ignore the Lofi12 any either my friend!

Edit: garddabbit, how much money do I have to spend on samplers in a single lifetime?!!

1 Like

and I get it, you adore it, not knocking that at all, it should be easy to understand that the same goes for the model samples, people adore it without all of those features of the lofi-12… :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

From what I have seen online people either love it or hate it. It’s really polarizing opinions.

I cannot tell you you will like it. It is very unique. But I can tell you it is powerful and can sound super nice. It has character, and that is what I like about instruments. The model:samples probably sounds cleaner, colder.

1 Like

:grin:

where have I heard the character vs cleaner debate before…

the universe is starting all over again my friend… it’s just good to be here to see it.

1 Like

It is all about preference and sometimes about what style of music you’re into maybe?

The one thing I kinda hate about the m:s is I don’t really see how to make the instrument evolve in the context of a firmware update. The limitations seem to be based on the material aspect of the device rather than the software.

1 Like