Public Enemy and Thoughts on Hip Hop Production

That place was fun. I lived in the neighborhood at the time and was frequently there late at night. There was one down in belltown too but I didn’t go there much.

1 Like

I hear that! I don’t call todays version hip-hop. It’s more…”shit-hop”

I too miss the old hip-hop. I wasn’t really into PE, but hip-hop/rap at the time was good. More insightful lyrics than, “I sit her face and I’m lovin’ that body…” wtf!? That’s just uninspired crass garbage. And ya that messed up auto tune stuff…I tried to consider it a contemporary “instrument” but I can’t do it. Sounds so bad.

I do like Danny Brown tho. :slight_smile:

if you close your eyes you could have thought the bomb squad produced this

1 Like

Early Meat Beat Manifesto (Storm the Studio, Armed Audio Warfare) has some similarities. I think (cannot cite references now) that PE was an inspiration there. Of course, MBM is not PE. But I loved those albums… especially Storm the Studio.

3 Likes

I grew up listening to those you mentioned. My absolute favourites were Marley Marl, MC Shan, Shante etc (Juice Crew)

But when I first heard “Yo! Bum Rush The Show”
I just didn’t get it. There’s that famous quote/sample of Mr Magic dissing PE, saying “No more music by the suckers”. And that’s how I felt.

Didn’t realise at the time that I was lamenting the change of guard. The end of the old school era.

It took me a few years to understand and embrace that era of revolution in hip hop. Glad I did because arguably it was the greatest period of Hip Hop history. Certainly from the point of black pride/power/consciousness, knowledge of self etc.

2 Likes

Thank you. I have heard that name for years but have never checked out any of their albums. I’ll check out Storm the Studio.

3 Likes

It’s called Crap isn’t it?
It is in my house.

Sorry… But it is.

1 Like

For us oldies still into the real thing, it’s called “Hip Op”

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

haha I see what you did there, you could be a rapper dude

4 Likes