Question about modular

The dark side is strong with cookies, i get the idea with modular fx, i am tempted myself, i just see that it can get expensive fast. I saw xompax or dash glitch utilizing modular to great effect, but these guys are pros and have the time to sink in. Without time at hand i would pursue a simpler setup, why not use tracktor /serato and play stems created /recorded from your looper? They have good fx aswell, pair it with a dj controller and its not feeling like a computer. (mixstream /numark).

then playing them live is best!
Thatā€™s why I like the big knob in the middle of the Magneto, it was made to be played live!

Then donā€™t get 2hp modules, just saying

5 Likes

If you go modular, Iā€™d suggest to limit yourself, something like a 4MS Pod for the beginning.
If you want to expand, then you will definitely have a use for it afterwards, or easily sell it.

One misconception though is that smaller racks are more ā€œhands onā€, you either have larger HP knob-per-function modules, or multi-button-combination smaller modules.

A4 as a sequencer and modulator is a good start, but you will quickly need more modulators, mixers, utility- and logic modules. Iā€™d suggest to start with only one fx module and a poweful modulator, like IME Kermit MK3 or Quadrax with expander. Maybe also only Maths and FX Aid, to keep it simple and fun :slight_smile:

I donā€™t go modular :blush: thank you all!

5 Likes

Djs 1000 is also a simple thing, and can live sample, allthough sample ram is limited, the fx are good though. Not sure if it can work as fx box in that sense, i.e. have a through track.

1 Like

too bad 32 seconds max sample length for djs 1000 :confused:

bought a zen delay though

1 Like

Hey Wouzer

Yes I did go very much down the modular route (in addition to my two existing analog fours and digitakt, and cycles now sold) ā€¦ reason being I wanted to do more hands on modulation without too much menu diving, also as you can see from my rack it is now very portable (which I take with me outdoors a lot!) Mountain Portable - Eurorack Modular System from GaryPHayes on ModularGrid ā€¦ In answer to some of your specifics
I went for quite an extensive FX in my rack. I actually got two FXAidXLs (which can have hundreds of different reverbs, delays and more etc: They do fantastic emulations of strymon and other top reverbs AND the XL part means I can have four CV modulation points in to control all parameters, I like using bitdepth to phase grittiness in and out, but also reverb depth to go from almost dry to big washes in live performances.
I do have the two 2HP loopers, one for each side of the stereo. Which when triggered at exactly the same time, start and loop start, will go on for an hour + in sync. I have for example done pieces which are 90s sound on sound loops in perfect sync when I add rhythmic parts later, so I sometimes treat it as a multitracker sometimes vs a looper. The A4 can send a range of triggers out which can emulate my Steppy which I use as a timed trigger. I have a bunch of videos on my channel YT with how the A4 and modular are just great together.
I normally feed the main stereo out of my modular into the A4 inputs btw when uysing the two together.
The big question should you go down the rack route - well really depends on style of music - if you want purely some nice long reverb and delay, a couple of pedals might work, if you want to do some experimental cv control over FX then something like a small 84hp modular FX rack might work for you, but remember my 2 FXAidXLs (32 onboard fx on each one), 2HP loopers and I have a couple of other things like a line out and granulator and small mixer to combine the above in the chain - will set you back about $1000 USD new, so the price of something like a couple of strymons or zens. Look at a small intellijel rack if you go the modular route and good luck!!

1 Like

thank you for the clear answer.
For me, now, is to add reverb and delay to my mixer
I think later I can build out the A4 with modular fx, and a compressor, butā€¦ step-by-step :slight_smile:

for me, the fascinating thing is, that only with a looper, a mixer and an A4, I can make full life sets. So I sold most equipment, and now have some money to spend on music equipment, and now I donā€™t add more sequencers, samplers or synthesizers. Really inspiring .

Dosent sound like a lot, but the pitch algo is very good, you sample a synth hit and can play it over 2 octaves, or have some drum loops, which could be manipulated. I am a littke curious about it, and its simplicity. We have here a very profi user jogginghouse, who did really nice sets with it.

1 Like

I would stick with this for now as something youā€™ve found works for you. Getting into Euroack will likely throw everything sideways. I think a nice fx pedal (or two) wonā€™t break your working system as much, so I think that route seems good.

My vote, beyond the Space, would go to OTO; BIM or BAM. Bam is less versatile then the Space though. Iā€™m very curious to get a BIM myself at some point. Great playability their form factor has.

1 Like